Patio cover overhaul

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Greetings,
Our covered patio is now in great need of a overhaul. We are contemplating doing it soon, but other things came up. Nonetheless we are planning and I would like to ask few questions so I get some ideas. We live in WI and the current patio cover is made out of wood for structure and double acrylic panels for covering. Our snow fall varies, but we must take that in account. I like the acrylic as it allows light. Here are few things we are considering:
- Acrylic panels;
- Aluminum framing, as the structure is a bit large.
- some "windows" on the panels to allow for better air circulation

Are these things doable? What are the pros/cons with the materials we want to use? What other suggestions can you offer? The current patio is about 30' x 8', and we want to extend it to a 12' perhaps 14'x30'.

Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Aluminum will have to be engineered and the people that sell it usually want to install it, so it can be expensive. I would start by getting quotes on that and in the mean time post some photos of the house so some here can make suggestion on wood structure.

Exactly what kinds of deterioration is the current patio cover experiencing? I recall some of the older (I think, acrylic) panels crazing over time, and then becoming brittle to the point of fracture.

You probably need to start from scratch if you're enlarging the new covering extensively, or if any of the framing members and columns are deteriorated to the point of dying. A properly-designed patio cover can last many years, while a poorly-designed or constructed one will be begging for repairs within a year or two of completion. The last house we owned (in WA state) had an aluminum-framed cover with polycarbonate panels, and it showed no signs of distress after almost 20 years of service (if the previous owner was truthful on its age).

In your climate, you want something that will resist at least 40 lb. per S.F. of snow load, along with some beefy hail resistance and ability to perform under many consecutive days of both sub-freezing weather and those scorchers above 100* F. I lived in Wisconsin for the first 22 years of my life, and I haven't forgotten the weather extremes. Why not give Menard's a try, to see if they offer a computerized patio cover design service? And they might have a list of approved contractors for doing the work should you and hubby not want to mess with it yourselves.

The wood is in a very bad shape. The panels themselves are not that bad. A good clean and will render them new. But we must replace, change, do something with the wood structure. We are considering buying the whole it from a company out in Washington state that is aluminum frame and acrylic type of panels.
The local code ask for a 30 PSF snow load. I prefer to go a bit over that just to be on the safe side. The weather here is crazy indeed and I hope that we can find a structure that will last many many years and that we will be able to enjoy it a lot. Thanks for the lead on Menards, I will check them out.
Thanks again. Be well
Miriam

Hello all,
I am back with this as we are now getting geared towards replacing the patio roof/cover. I remember someone mentioning a company out west that made kits for that made out of engineered aluminum and the clear panels as I have it now. I cannot remember the name of the company and am reaching out to see if anyone can help me.
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

And be prepared to pay the price--such a kit has to be engineered to resist the snow loads and temperature extremes that are common to your area. Wouldn't surprise me if it comes in at more than $6000 (more yet if you want custom colors).

Back