Peeling Plaster Ceiling in Craftsman (pics)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinydanger

Reaction score
Hello there, thank you guys in advance.. I hope someone can help me with this.

I live in an older, much neglected Craftsman-style apartment. As far as I can remember there have been cracks and chips on my bedroom ceiling. I've finally broken down and want to repaint and repair everything. I have textured painted walls and what I believe is a textured plaster ceiling. The chips off the ceiling come off in huge chunks and expose whatever the walls are made of. How do I fix this? Of course sanding would produce just more chips and everything is so raised it probably wouldn't smooth it out much. I'd really like to get the texture smooth.. just because I don't care for the textured walls/ceiling throughout my house.

Any help on what the next step to take would be a lifesaver! :)

-Jordan

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

I had the same thing at my house, i used a putty knife and scraped off all of the falling apart plaster. Then I had the plaster guy fix it, he used an adhesive first and then re-plastered the section. The first time it didn't stick and he had to do it twice but now its fine.

I just put 1/2" sheetrock over the ceiling to get them flat, but depending on how strong the popcorn is to the ceiling, you might be able to spray water over it and let it sit for a min, then scrape it off using a putty knife or something similar.

Back