Pergo (presto) in the kitchen?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quattro

Massive Tool Belt
Reaction score
Howdy all, looks like a great resource here.

I'm about to embark on the kitchen remodel. The wife wants Pergo presto on the floor. Is this a good idea in the kitchen environment? We have a bunch left over from a dining room re-do, and actually we're faily impressed with it's durability. I'm more concerned with the issue of water and stains. Is there a "coating" that will help repel water from the seams? Something like a very light wax I'm thinking...

Anyone have suggestions/comments?

The "presto" line is the glue-less, snap together stuff.

Also, is it OK to lay this stuff down over the subfloor? I have the blue roll-padding that goes under it for comfort and noise, but I didn't know if it was necessary to put down 1/4" plywood. Personally, I don't think it's necessary...but I'm no pro.

Thanks!

Hello Quattro,
Pergo Presto works and looks great in the kitchen,we have installed it several times for clients and they seem to be happy with it. The durability of this product will last a long time. The only thing is not to leave water sitting on the floor, duh, where it could seep thru the seams,this could cause the floor to swell. The laminate coat on top will prevent stains to adhere. If your subfloor [whatever it is] is stuck well, theres no reason you cant go over it,without plywood. The plywood will and height to the floor. Since your in the kitchen first put plastic over subfloor for a moisture barrier, then the blue padding for noise reduction. I doubt if any coating would adhere to the laminate top.
GOOD LUCK,
DAVID

Back