Pex Stub out

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Van

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to plumb a new vanity with two sinks. I'm using PEX and wondering what the best method is for the stub outs? A PEX bend support of some kind (there are many) or a copper transition? I'm no too keen on using shark bite push on fitting buried in a wall.

What is your favorite Pex Stub out?

I used copped stub outs with a PEX crimp connection in the wall. The brackets that bend the PEX look pretty interesting and I like the lack of fittings in the wall.

Copper Stub Out

PEX Bend support
I think I’m leaning toward the bend support. I’ve never used one though. I’d like to hear if anyone has used them and what they think of them.

I think I’m leaning toward the bend support. I’ve never used one though. I’d like to hear if anyone has used them and what they think of them.
I saw a YouTube or possibly a FB video on them awhile back. I hadn't heard of them when I was roughing out my basement bathroom. I think I would have tried them if I knew of the product. Keeping fittings out of the walls isn't a bad thing. I had to help a friend replace a bad PEX crimped brass T fitting in his ceiling last year. He has well water, and apparently the water is reacting with his brass PEX fittings, it is going to be a massive job replacing them. I really like the concept of using hot and cold manifolds and home running all the plumbing joint free to the manifold with no fittings in the walls or ceilings. PEX is relatively cheap and running it is like pulling wire. One fitting costs as much as a couple of feet of pipe.

I saw a YouTube or possibly a FB video on them awhile back. I hadn't heard of them when I was roughing out my basement bathroom. I think I would have tried them if I knew of the product. Keeping fittings out of the walls isn't a bad thing. I had to help a friend replace a bad PEX crimped brass T fitting in his ceiling last year. He has well water, and apparently the water is reacting with his brass PEX fittings, it is going to be a massive job replacing them. I really like the concept of using hot and cold manifolds and home running all the plumbing joint free to the manifold with no fittings in the walls or ceilings. PEX is relatively cheap and running it is like pulling wire. One fitting costs as much as a couple of feet of pipe.
Yes, I like the idea of home running the system and this would be a perfect time to do it. I have quite a bit of galvanized pipe still in my system but have replaced about 1/3 of it with Pex. I need to make a plan to make the conversion to a Pex home run system.

I’ve seen manifolds with 3/4” input and 1/2” outputs but I think my water heater is feed with 1/2” already. That seems like a bottleneck.

My son converted to PEX 10 years or so ago. He did it because he was getting pinholes in his copper due to low water pH. Fast forward to last week the brass connectors used in his PEX system are now failing. They didn't last as long as the original copper.

My son converted to PEX 10 years or so ago. He did it because he was getting pinholes in his copper due to low water pH. Fast forward to last week the brass connectors used in his PEX system are now failing. They didn't last as long as the original copper.
That's the problem my friend is having with his well water. He needs to sweeten the water to prevent this from happening. And the prime reason why I like the manifold design as opposed to branching off with T's and using elbows to turn corners. Try to keep fittings out of the walls & ceilings.

So far I haven’t put any fittings in the walls except the shower faucet retrofit I did but it’s accessible. So I think I will avoid any more fittings in walls and use the bend supports.

I picked up a couple of these today at Lowes.

1678760708232.png

And the prime reason why I like the manifold design as opposed to branching off with T's and using elbows to turn corners. Try to keep fittings out of the walls & ceilings.
Do you like the manifolds with the valves on them? Do you like plastic or metal manifolds?

1678761171215.png

1678761217862.png

So far I haven’t put any fittings in the walls except the shower faucet retrofit I did but it’s accessible. So I think I will avoid any more fittings in walls and use the bend supports.

I picked up a couple of these today at Lowes.

View attachment 30160

Do you like the manifolds with the valves on them? Do you like plastic or metal manifolds?

View attachment 30161

View attachment 30162
I'm not a plumber and have no experience with either manifold. I like the concept because it limits the number of fittings, and chances for failure inside walls. The majority of my house is in copper, except for my basement bathroom that I plumbed in the last year in PEX. On one level I prefer brass, because of previous experience with polybutylene plumbing in my last house. The plastic fittings were the weak spot. That said, if you're on well water and don't treat it for pH level it can cause issues with copper and brass. So IMHO both have pluses and minuses. I assume the manufacturers have learned the lessons from the polybutylene fittings and have fixed those problems for plastic PEX fittings.

I'm not a plumber and have no experience with either manifold. I like the concept because it limits the number of fittings, and chances for failure inside walls. The majority of my house is in copper, except for my basement bathroom that I plumbed in the last year in PEX. On one level I prefer brass, because of previous experience with polybutylene plumbing in my last house. The plastic fittings were the weak spot. That said, if you're on well water and don't treat it for pH level it can cause issues with copper and brass. So IMHO both have pluses and minuses. I assume the manufacturers have learned the lessons from the polybutylene fittings and have fixed those problems for plastic PEX fittings.
Our house was originally on a well and the pump house, pump and tank are still on the property but at some point before we bought the house, a water utility was connected to the neighborhood and our pump has been bypassed. We are not within the city limits but we have city water none the less. I assume they have the proper Ph. Anyway, I put some brass fittings in my crawlspace because I've heard the plastic ones crack in freezing weather. I don't think my crawlspace gets below freezing but I guess it could someday.

I'll try the bend supports and report back.

Last edited:
Back