Pilot flame adjustment on AO Smith?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rerod

Reaction score
Can the pilot flame size on AO smith GVR 40 100's be adjusted? I see a set screw near the pilot gas port which might uncover a pilot adjustment screw below it?

Ive cleaned the ceramic flame arrestor again, but still continued to have the pilot go out after the gas valve was satisfied and shut off.

To me it looks like the pilot flame is so small, the burner blows it out when it shuts off. And this continues even after I replaced the pilot assembly.

Thanks

The pilot is probably starved for air and you'll need to clean the screen under the burner assembly.You can do this by devising a tool from a piece of 1/2" copper with an elbow on the end, then duct taped into a shop vac.

Thanks guys.. Ive had hot water for over 24 hours so I'm guessing it was a weak thermocouple.

But Im still curious if there is a pilot adjust screw..

Older models I believe there was, usually not gonna change anything if the pilot flame is hitting the thermocouple well, about the first 1/4-3/8”. Make sure the thermocouple connection is snug in the valve, don’t over tighten. If it keeps going out, replace the thermocouple(usual culprit)...if it still has problems then the control.

Back