Pipe hole is dripping water droplets, stops after sometime and then starts doing it again

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe4433221122

Reaction score
As you can see there is a pipe hole in the photo. Some days ago it srtated to drip water. After short time it stops and then stays stop for few days and then starts again. What is this pipe hole for? why is it dripping water?
1652221753518.png1652221842229.png

Welcome.
It's likely a condensate drain for an HVAC unit, either attic or roof mounted.

There is a drip pan, so when it fills, it then overflows, thru the pipe, as opposed to your ceiling, or down the roof.

Spell check and google are working overtime, today.

Why is drip pan overflowing? How can I fix this issue?I am trying to learn and do what I can by myself. My hvac unit warranty has expired. Please help. Thanks so much.

It's how it's designed to work; "it then overflows, thru the pipe, as opposed to your ceiling, or down the roof."

What do want to fix?

The water was not dripping from the pipe before. Never saw it. Now it is dripping, obviously something is not right.

That symptom may be from excessive on periods and high relative humidity.

Wherever your unit is located, e9ther the drip pan is visible, or it is contained within the unit, the pipe will help you locate it.

Some attic units will have them beneath the units, some will be enclosed in the unit. Where the pipe exits the pan, in attic units, there should be an air-gap, and the pipe continues from there.

Sometimes these drains will develop a build-up of scum, which can impede flow, which can, "generally" be corrected with some bleach or CLR and then flooding with water.

For roof mounted units, some disassembly will be necessary.

Here is a link; Air gap fitting condensate drain

Last edited:
How can I remove this scum?
what is CLR?
[/QUOTE]

Wherever your unit is located, e9ther the drip pan is visible, or it is contained within the unit, the pipe will help you locate it.

Some attic units will have them beneath the units, some will be enclosed in the unit. Where the pipe exits the pan, in attic units, there should be an air-gap, and the pipe continues from there.

Sometimes these drains will develop a build-up of scum, which can impede flow, which can, "generally" be corrected with some bleach or CLR and then flooding with water.

Drip pan is full of water

GOOGLE is your friend; CLR

You remove the scum, as described; "which can, "generally" be corrected with some bleach or CLR and then flooding with water."

If you need more assistance, you'll need to be more expansive, IE where is the unit, do you have an air gap or drain trap, how about some photos.

For me, as a handyman, your issues were common place, which is an avenue to explore.

I noticed that you had wondered, were there moderators.

There are and if you click on members it the top of the page and scroll down, on the right will be a list of Admin folks, who can assist you.

Back