Pipe soundproofing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connorhawke

Reaction score
There's a pipe that runs between the floor and ceiling in the corner of my apartment bedroom that makes periodic hammering noises related to building heating that plumbers I've used claim they can't fix. As at least a temporary workaround I'm considering using soundproofing to dampen the noise. Any recommendations on specific products or product categories, especially if they've worked for you? I've already looked at soundproofing wrap etc and may benefit from further research and advice. Thank you.

What was likely being conveyed to you, is that it cannot be economically repaired, because it would require opening a large portion of the ceiling, to better secure the pipe.

Used fiberglass insulation as didn't find wide-enough foam insulation at the usual stores near me; seems to do enough.

Last edited:
what plumbers are supposed to do when installing heating pipes is to make the holes bigger to allow for expansion, and to se pipe hangers that allow pipe to move silently. I used to wrap tar paper around pipes to move quietly .

Back