Pipes connected with foil and adhesive...how do I fix this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageandroid

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My parents' cut a lot of corners in their house and this is the situation under my sink that I'm trying to fix while in quarantine.

Screenshot_20200415-144332_Gallery.jpg

I don't know much about plumbing and have been googling all day. This is what I've come up with and would appreciate if someone could help confirm for me?

If I buy a PVC tail pipe extension and a marvel connector like in this video, that would be the fix, right? https://youtu.be/hzLqWu4DNO0

I don't know why the P trap is glued with those fittings rather than the really convenient threaded ones shown in the video (because that means i also couldn't check the P trap for clogs later ugh) but I really don't want to use adhesive. I want a threaded connection.

I also am not sure about the pipe length and if I'll need to get a handsaw.

But is anyone able to confirm that a correctly sized (also the copper tailpipe is 5 in circumference and the PVC pipe below is 6 in) PVC tailpipe extension would go over this copper tailpipe then be connected to the existing non threaded PVC pipe with a marvel trap adapter?

Thanks so much!!

If everthing is lined up you should be good to go with just the tail piece assembly and one glue on connector at the very top.

The nice part about a removable P trap is it gives you wiggle room to get the tail piece in there . The trap you have has a cap on the bottom in case you need to drain it and try and unclog it.

If it was mine I would chop that all off and do it with the screw together assembly like the guy shows in the video. I only watched a few seconds of it and it was mostly ok. He was putting Teflon tape on those threads and I wouldn’t do that the seal is the tapered ring.

Welcome to the forum.

The fitting you need on top of the P trap pipe is called a slip coupling.
It has a nut and a tapered washer seal. The sink drop pipe slides inside and you tighten the nut to make the seal.

Back