Planting fruits & vegetables in COVID-19 times

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
I have bought some fruit and vegetable seeds to plant in the backyard, in case we have food shortages, and also to give me something to do while staying home. Good idea? Is anyone doing the same?

Cheers,

Paul

I have the garden all rototilled and I got my tomato cages out and straightened them up and I’m ready to go. I normally buy my starter plants and it is still a little early to put most things in the ground as we live up on the great lakes. Starting from seed is fun I used to use the egg containers. Good way to pass the time and think about gardening earlier.

This Covid19 has us all a little stir crazy. Having been retired for a couple years now got me a little bit used to staying home, but wanting to go buy stuff for projects and not being able to has me a little crazy. It will pass though.

For sure if you have the seed and the potting dirt get started.

My rhubarb is up about 4” already I can’t wait for it. Last summer a neighbor passed away and his son told me to take his rhubarb and transplant it as they were selling the house. It had already seeded and I have 2 gallons of rhubarb seed and I planted some last year along with the transplants and the seed took off along with the transplants. So I will be getting more of those seeds planted.

Bud, funny you mention rhubarb, it reminds me of my grandma Eva. She use to make me rhubarb pie for my birthday every year. That's one pie that's hard to find and if you do find it, it's never as good as grandma use to make. Thanks for the memory.

Bud, funny you mention rhubarb, it reminds me of my grandma Eva. She use to make me rhubarb pie for my birthday every year. That's one pie that's hard to find and if you do find it, it's never as good as grandma use to make. Thanks for the memory.
Maybe we had the same grandma or at least they went to the same rhubarb pie making school. Around here it is hard to find also as most of the time it is strawberry rhubarb pie because rhubarb cost so much I think they make it with 10% rhubarb. There is a church pie building at the county fair and the women bake pies back at the church 4 bakes per day 100s and 100s of pies. We get all week passes for the fair and I try and spread my food consumption around but I make sure to hit the pie building for pie and coffee every day at least once. Mostly rhubarb when they have it. Last year last night of the fair after the fireworks I said lets get pie. Every pie was crossed off except raisin pie. Holly didn’t want it but had no choice and much to her surprise as well as mine she loved it.

This year there is a strong chance the fair might get canceled and if not I’m sure they will lose money as attendance will be low.

As to my rhubarb I make a stew with it and it great over ice cream. But now that I’m watching sugar intake I have to figure out something new or just eat a tiny bit and that’s no fun. Not good getting old. :mad:

Back