Plaster ceilings

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjw

Reaction score
so I came home to a leak in my roof that dropped into my plaster ceiling and caused it to cave in. My question is... should I rip out the plaster ceiling and drywall it or just patch the ceiling. I can rip out and put up drywall myself. Have never done plaster before so would ether give it a try or get someone to do it. I already fixed the roof. I plan on redoing my hole bathroom in Jan/feb.

Attachments

• 52215975-BF2F-47BC-9E9D-037FA232EF34.jpeg
    52215975-BF2F-47BC-9E9D-037FA232EF34.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 6
Because its wood lath, it becomes a lesser of two evils, in that the wood lath offers a base for blown in insulation and runs the same direction as the decorative beams, 3/8 board would closely match the gypsum paster thickness.

On the other hand, there is a learning curve with gypsum plaster.

I would take the decorative trim down screw the loose plaster back up to the lath with screws and plaster washers. Roughly fill the hole with drywall or plywood shimmed to be flush and then cover the whole ceiling with half inch drywall screwing into the joists where possible.

I did the whole first floor with this method in our old home and it went pretty fast. If working alone rent a drywall lift and if you have a helper build a set of T props.

I would take the decorative trim down screw the loose plaster back up to the lath with screws and plaster washers. Roughly fill the hole with drywall or plywood shimmed to be flush and then cover the whole ceiling with half inch drywall screwing into the joists where possible.

I did the whole first floor with this method in our old home and it went pretty fast. If working alone rent a drywall lift and if you have a helper build a set of T props.

Thank you. Was just reading up about doing that and that seems to be the best option. I can get above the ceiling to the joists. Should I drill down next to them and it will show me where they all are and be able to secure it nicely?

Thank you. Was just reading up about doing that and that seems to be the best option. I can get above the ceiling to the joists. Should I drill down next to them and it will show me where they all are and be able to secure it nicely?
Yes if you are covering it up 100% you can poke some holes and reach up there with a coat hanger and find the joists. Or if you have a stud finder it might work thru the lath. I make a mark on the wall each side of the room where joists are at and then when you get the sheet in place you can snap a chalk line or snap chalk lines on the old plaster before you get started with the drywall. It is also a good time if you want to rewire anything in the ceiling.

Two rooms I did the drywall tight to the plaster. The kitchen was the worst room and I ran furring strips over it all and that allowed me to level it and bridge large areas that had plaster missing. In the kitchen I used the space between the old ceiling and the drywall to run wires for a number of new can lights etc.

For me unless you are dealing with a gut job where you will be putting new insulation it is way less work and mess to just leave the old plaster and cover it over.

Back