Please advise water leaking into brick house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyoyo

Reaction score
I live in a 1927 brick bungalow in Denver. Water has been leaking into the house and has caused considerable damage to the dry wall and downstairs floors.

It seems to be a problem caused by water trapped next to the house in an area with a concrete lip. I am thinking that creating good drainage away from this area (and no plants) will resolve the issue. Also, the brick goes down another 5 feet.

pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dazcxc38oidzrb9/house%20fix.JPG

I would really appreciate any feedback on my current plan:

-Fill in the area with dirt above the 'lip' so the water flows over it.

-Seal the brick to protect it from future water damage (I was recommended Block Fill). I am worried about this step as I have read that water-repellent and waterproof coatings can cause damage, but the brick will be covered by dirt so I am wondering if it needs additional protection.

-Should I cover the dirt with something else to protect it further?

Thank you for any advice/feedback.

house fix.JPG

Also, the 'lip' for lack of a better name borders a pathway around the house, hope this picture gives a better idea.

out3.JPG

Capture.jpg

This will give an idea of what should have been done when the house was built and would be the best fix now, have a look. And welcome to the site.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCuO10cLVuw[/ame]

you might be able to alleviate the situation by cutting a reglet into the mortar joint then insert a rubber membrane extending to the top of the sidewalk retaining wall. any rainfall now soaks the soil - water runs downhill hence into your very fine home.

didn't bother looking at the video as i hate them but imagine its the perforated pvc drainage pipe to collect the leaking water then direct it downhill to daylight drainage. we normally use an exterior sump & pump - its faster, less expensive, & more permanent for our clients.

IF it were our home, i'd use membrane as we're selling w/i a year :)

Latest posts

Back