Please Help - Another bathroom moisture problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieDude

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am in the middle of a forced bathroom project involving moisture near a shower stall. The baseboard near the shower stall started cracking so i removed it to investigate and did indeed find some moisture and mold problems. I have had a fan going in the bathroom for the past 2 days and things seem to be drying out. I have attached some pictures below and am looking for some advice on how to go about fixing the issue. The floorboard seems to have started rotting but the problem seems to be localized near the corner which leads me to believe that the problem was caused by water leaking thru the corner because of damaged caulking. I would really appreciate your comments/help.
IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

No way to tell by the picture just how bad it is.
If it's partical board, #1 it should never have been used in a bathroom, linoulium should never have been directly attached to it, there should have been under layment first.
If it's just the underlayment that's bad and not the subflooring then you can just cut that area out, (underlament is only 1/4" thick) fill in the seams with floor leveler and install new flooring.
That linolium was suppost to be all the way under the 1/4 round, not just up to it. I alway use a thin bead of siilicone between the flooring and the base board then the 1/4 round.
Resilicone caulk all around the sliding door frame on the inside of the frame after all old caulking has been removed and that area cleaned.
Make sure the drain holes are clear in the bottom rail.
At the tub to floor seal use 100% silicone then install a piece of vinyl cap moulding that gets set in a bed of silicone. It will help deflect the water away from that seam.

joe, thank you for your quick response. There is an underlaymet beneath the linoleum so as you suggested I will gut out a block of the underlayment and replace it before installing the linoleum back.

The classic tools stick around forever - the number one thing to do is to cut away as much silicone caulk with a utility knife before you get started.

Latest posts

Back