Plumbing back to back bathtubs

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by Cracker Jack, Jan 27, 2019.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Jan 27, 2019 #1

Cracker Jack

Cracker Jack

Cracker Jack

Good Morning,

Im in the process of laying out our bathrooms in our home. I have everything planned out but lack the knowledge on how the best way to approach plumbing 2 bathtubs back to back. The bathtubs are separated by a standard 2x4 wall. One possibility is to offset one of the faucets in one of the bathtubs so I have room to put everything together. I really hate to do that but I cant. The other thought was using a 2x6 wall which would allow room but space is limited and would not work for this.

So has anyone got any ideas on doing this? I have tried to look through lovely google and I cant not find any examples. I have thought of using something like this https://www.supply.com/pfister-bedford-shower-valve-07-31xa/p4999 with a 1x4 secured between but not sure if that will work either.

Fishing for some ideas......

Thanks a million.

2. Jan 27, 2019 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

shower-diverter-installation-shower-valve-installation-shower-valve-installation.jpg

Here ya go, hope this can work for you.

zannej likes this.
  3. Jan 27, 2019 #3

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Decide which faucets you are going to use, then ask a supplier for the rough-in for the faucets, and that will give you where in the wall cavity they will be immersed.

You also will need to decide what the wall finish will be, because that affects the distance the faucet protrudes.

Make sure you water risers are 3/4".

4. Feb 16, 2019 #4

billshack

billshack

billshack

I would not do this faucet to faucet.. I always like an access panel at the back of a bathtub so that you have access the the overflow and water piping going to the bath and shower faucet. i would re gig the layout so that the faucets and drain pipes were next to a cupboard, or some other place that an assess door can be hidden. there is no law that says both faucets have to be faucet to faucet.

5. Feb 16, 2019 #5

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree, recently had to replace the faucet in the hall bath, a fireplace restricted access to the backside and I had to remove tile to get to it. Try matching tile 30 years out of production...impossible.

6. Feb 17, 2019 #6

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Just put the valves one above the other just a few more elbows for the spout and shower arm

zannej likes this.
  7. Feb 17, 2019 #7

Puddlesx5

Puddlesx5

Puddlesx5

Hearder of Turds

You need a 2x6 wall. If for nothing else the shower head and the tub spout have to be supported. If you are set on doing this use a moen posi-temp valve. The smaller body of the valve may help the install. Plus I believe the cartridge can be spun as to switch the hot and cold sides. I'll check it's been some time since I've done that.
    Stacking the valves will make Installing the spout difficult at best and not recommended.