plumbing metal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejurasw

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm re-habbing an old (1920's) shower stall and I'm down to the absolute nubbin: floor joists and plumbing. What I'm wondering is, does anyone recycle or reclaim old metal? I have a 4x4 lead sheet (about 1/8th inch thick) and a big solid brass drum-type shower drain that weighs close to 30 lbs. Junk it? Bagster? Scrap yard?
Thanks!
Mike M.

Yes, there are recyclers that take metal. Not sure about your area, but near me there's several. For that small amount, don't expect much. Google search your area for recyclers.

Lead and brass are worth recycling, as is copper and aluminum. Scrap steel takes a lot to make it worth your while. I got rid of a bunch of steel studs from a demolition project at our church by offering it for free via Craig's List or FB Marketplace. A guy contacted me and took two Super Duty pick-up loads and got around $80 for his efforts. It was win/win he made some money and I didn't have to deal with it. Plus it didn't get landfilled. If you don't want to take the time to recycle it yourself offer it up for free and I'd bet someone will come and take it.

Latest posts

Back