Polishing and Chroming

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyDon't

Reaction score
Anybody have a setup where they can polish and chrome in their garage? I know there are kits out there for it and whatnot.

Polishing is a good garage activity, but chroming involves lots of really toxic chemicals. I would not advise doing your own chrome without extensive research into what's required to do it safely, not to mention it's illegal in at least one state. The chemicals are toxic, the fumes they produce are toxic, and the stuff that settles into your garage from those fumes is toxic. You can easily contaminate your garage to "toxic waste site" levels with one slip or moment of inattention, or just poor preperation.

Another option is "copy chrome" kits sold by some manufacturers, that use a bright nickel or cobalt plating that looks like chrome - they're typically mostly non-toxic, and from what I've seen, the results look pretty good. You can get them in a kit with a small electroplating wand, if your parts aren't too large.

--Bushytails

Latest posts

Back