Popping/creaking noise from bulkhead/ductwork.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusBush

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve been experiencing a loud popping/clicking noise from inside my ceiling above the kitchen as well as some quieter but still distrusting rustling/creaking noises. This has been going on for some time and I have no idea why or where this noise is coming from. Has anyone experienced this? I imagine it’s coming from the ductwork flexing/popping but I have no clue where to begin for a fix. I recently had the ducts cleaned and the cleaners were also unsure of why the noise is occurring. Any insight is much appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0691.MOV
    38.8 MB
Hi Sparky,
Yes the ducts are metal. It appears to be coming from these two, one is the kitchen exhaust fan and the one further behind is the bathroom exhaust. There is an small access panel for a gas shutoff which is how I got these pictures but otherwise I would need to cut a hole in the ceiling. 81B9FB63-2A78-406C-BCFD-59928FD42625.png
EBE2F2B2-254F-4BEF-B442-AEDDB2A5A30C.png
Are the ducts metal? Can you look at them at all? They usually put in brakes (bends) in the metal to stop it from "oil canning" and making noises. That said, any connections can cause noise due to expansion and contraction of the metal. You might be able to quiet it by using a sealing mastic. This of course requires access.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Design-Pol...BcLKx9USxxKV5FyZ1NkaAsyOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is it making noises all the time or only when the fans are running? I was thinking more of HVAC ducts expanding and contracting with the heating and cooling cycles.

The noise isn't associated with the A/C or fans running which makes this all the more confusing. The only variable I've noticed is that when it's really hot and humid outside (last week we had about 30celcius and very humid and barely any of this noise was happening. So maybe when its warm outside the space in the bulkhead is warm and that means the duct is expanded as much as possible and doesn't keep flexing back and forth with the temperature change.

Is it making noises all the time or only when the fans are running? I was thinking more of HVAC ducts expanding and contracting with the heating and cooling cycles.

Latest posts

Back