Portable ice maker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abunaitoo

Reaction score
Anyone have one???
How are they???
Ice maker in the frig is acting up.
If a portable ice maker is good, I could remove the one in the frig and free up some space.

You'll be better served by repairing/replacing the existing, by virtue of the operating costs.

There are many available. I have a commercial unit at my Lake Havasu house, where it will make about 75 pounds a day. These units must be cleaned often, you need a good filter, and a drain line is a must. Unless you are filling ice chests daily, it is almost cheaper just to get a new fridge with a new ice maker.

I use one as my water line to the fridge needs replaced. Something to consider is that they don't store ice well and the ice is only 32° rather than fridge freezer temp. I transfer mine to the fridge container but it clumps due to being wet when I dump it in.

We have one and it consumes a lot of electricity, ice also melts quickly. Great for occasional use I suppose, but I'd look for ways to repair your ice maker first.

Back