Post your amazingly tidied-up garage your wife/husband/partner still can't believe!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
I've been remodeling our house for the last few years, and our garage became a chaotic pile of building materials, tools, supplies, parts, scraps, missing bodies, and so on. It got so bad, I ended up spending almost as much time looking for stuff as using it, and feared for my life a few times when I had to venture too deeply into it. :rolleyes: ("If I'm not back in a couple of hours, send help!")

Now that we've sequestered ourselves to ride out COVID-19, and there's been all this extra time, I've astounded my wife by going through everything out there. I've donated, recycled and discarded all the unnecessary stuff, vacuumed up every bit of sawdust, spiderweb and other schmutz (a word my Jewish grandma used for "dirt or other unpleasant material"), and have put everything in its proper, refindable place.

z's_garage.jpg

(Wish I'd taken a "before" photo—you'd be much more impressed!)

Amusing sidenote: The fellow we bought our house from didn't quite understand how pegboards worked. Rather than spacing his out from the wall, then adding hooks, he screwed it directly to the wall, and drove nails through the holes to hang stuff. 😝 I have remedied this situation.

Have you used your time off to miraculously spruce up your garage or workshop? Post a picture of it here!

This is about as good as mine gets. The reason I took the photo. Now I have some inspiration to clean up again. IMG_7738.jpgIMG_7739.jpg

Nice!! Could we possibly be the only two newly-tidy peeps on the board, though?

Nice!! Could we possibly be the only two newly-tidy peeps on the board, though?
I started a similar thread about a year ago and had the same result no one was quite tidy enough to snap a pic. :dunno:

I started a similar thread about a year ago and had the same result no one was quite tidy enough to snap a pic. :dunno:

Normally, I'd be well among that group. With all this extra at-home time, though, I thought there might be some surprising results, as people turn to long-neglected projects!

Normally, I'd be well among that group. With all this extra at-home time, though, I thought there might be some surprising results, as people turn to long-neglected projects!

My surge of energy was a couple years ago called early retirement. It didn't last long.

My surge of energy was a couple years ago called early retirement. It didn't last long.

So you've had to live with a tidy shop this whole time? How could you not find anything?

So you've had to live with a tidy shop this whole time? How could you not find anything?
HAHA it is like buying your first house you do more in the first 3 months than you do the next 30 years. Mine stayed tidy for about a month and then returned to clutter and got picked up again and returned to clutter. Right now it is about mid way with my free snow blower still sitting in the middle. Hard to work on a snow blower when it is 92 outside.

My problem is, usually when I clean the whole place up...I can never find anything.

Yeah, I'm usually like that too—I need to leave stuff out to remember I'm doing something with it. If I don't see it, I can forget I even have it... Drives my highly organized wife nuts.

Pegboards are great for us, though. You can keep everything out in plain sight at all times. I wouldn't be surprised if they were invented by one of us attention-challenged types.

Actually, the only change I made where things are kept out of view is the drawer you can see under the left side of my bench. I made it big enough to hold ALL of my fasteners and other small parts. If I need something and can't see it, all I have to do is remember one big drawer. What a system!

Wall shelving I was thinking to utilize these above floor spaces to mount a shelf

Attachments

• 03EEB692-C784-4639-A1BB-62C5103D8C11.jpeg
    03EEB692-C784-4639-A1BB-62C5103D8C11.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2290BCFE-DD63-4DEF-8149-90D45DD0F142.jpeg
    2290BCFE-DD63-4DEF-8149-90D45DD0F142.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 4
Back