Post Your Kitchen!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why can I not view pics the computer generated pic shows but all others are a photo box with an x when I click on it I get a 403 message that the server is forbidden I've been a member for some time 1st problem like this?

why can I not view pics the computer generated pic shows but all others are a photo box with an x when I click on it I get a 403 message that the server is forbidden I've been a member for some time 1st problem like this?
Sorry. The forum went through a server upgrade a while ago. Some pictures didn't transfer.

It's a pity because there were some cool pics. I need to get my kitchen fixed up more & get updated pics.

thanks thought it was me could we ask folks to repost?
Most who have posted no longer frequent here. I'm afraid it's dust in the wind at this point. We have a very loyal group of professionals who thankfully donate their time to help others work their way through problems or just want some advise. A lot of posters move on once their issue has been solved.

This is my friend's kitchen that I'm helping with. It still needs a lot of work, but this is the progress thus far. The new unfinished cabinets are not secured yet & the countertop still needs to be adjusted & locked together. Eventually there will be more cabinets. The unfinished ones are sitting where there were previously metal rack shelves (which have been pushed into another room & their contents were transferred to the countertop temporarily. Litterbox won't be staying in that spot but I snapped this photo just after we moved things around.
Here's the first cabinet & counter w/ sink that I helped install & stained. The trim is oak but the structure is particle board.
Mitchnewcabs1.jpg

Got some better quality cabinets for the other run-- made of plywood instead of particle board so they are sturdier but they also have oak for the trim/drawers/doors. Slightly different type of routing on the edges but they aren't next to one another & they are similar enough that it doesn't make a difference. Countertop (which I got on clearance) needs to be trimmed on the tablesaw. I'm going to be staining these probably sometime this week. Upper cabinets will be added later. Obviously the floor needs a lot of work as well. My favorite detail is the Darth Vader toaster.
Mitchkitchennewcabs2.jpg

I'll update after the staining is done.

First coat of stain on the cabinets. I'll hit the sides after the countertops are secured & trimmed.Mitchkitchennewcabs3stain1.jpg

Removed the baseboard & trim bc it stopped the cabinets from sitting flush against the walls (which are not plumb-- they lean back a bit), installed a power strip, re-aligned the cabinets, trimmed excess countertop, & added countertop side trim. The corner cabinet is shallower than the others so we recessed it in one direction so the end cabinet near the doorway wouldn't stick out too far. We still need to clamp them together & get them securely leveled, then secure the countertops. A pantry cabinet will be added on the left & then upper cabinets will be added. But that will come after we get other stuff fixed up & the budget allows.
mitchnewcabs3-jpg.22497

someone correct me if I'm wrong but, shouldn't the corner cabinet be flush in the front and allow the back to be short? It is covered by the countertop.
It should but because the walls & doorways are not plumb, the cabinet needed to be pushed back a smidge in one direction so the countertop wouldn't hang over into the doorway. As it is, it just barely clears. Although, it's not completely set yet so we could see how much room there is if it gets nudged forward a bit more. I'm glad you mentioned it because I think there is some room to move it forward.

You could add a board or trim piece to the doorway making it slightly (3/4") smaller and allow the cabinet to meet that board. Once it's painted white it won't be noticeable.

If the counter top fits now, it should still fit after you move the cabinets underneath it. The only concern i would have is if the right-most cabinet (in the picture) protrudes out from under the counter and into the doorway

There edge trim has a little piece that juts down to sit against the side of the cabinet. My friend unintentionally put it on crooked & didn't care enough to fix it before we adhered the end trim. So it can't be moved now without breaking the end trim. My friend did scoot the cabinet up against the side of the filler piece though, but can't move it any further, so it will have to stay as-is. I don't know if he will want to put in filler strips to cover the seams of the cabinets at a later point. I don't think he's too worried about it though. We still need to get them all flush, level, & secured to each other.

Added the pantry cabinet, got a 30" over-the-range cabinet (which still needs to be put up), stainless steel range hood (also still needs to be put up), stained the new cabinets & touched up the older ones. Took the picture while the stain was still drying.
mkitchenrangecabsfridgesink1-jpg.22689
mkitchenpantry1-jpg.22686
mkitchenpantrycabstouchup3-jpg.22688

Still debating whether or not to stain the sides of the pantry. I need a stepstool to get the side over the counter- I had to stand up on my toes to reach the top of the front. Since the side of the pantry is opposite the fridge we are considering using some sort of peel & stick faux stainless steel vinyl or some other type of vinyl. I'm not sure if it would stick better to unfinished wood or to stain though. I did stain the edge trim on the pantry, but its hard to see from the photos.
Little Brownie (the puppy) decided to photobomb. He was trying to "help" me by licking my hand when I was on the floor for the lower parts. My friend saw me looking to see if I missed spots & jokingly called me Picaso & said it didn't need to be perfect. I was lying on the floor looking up to make sure I go the underside of the door & he said "It's not like anyone is going to see it!"

Updates: The pantry cabinet is fully stained & my friend pulled a stainless steel napkin holder out of the garbage. It looked too bare still so I got him a magnetic whiteboard for notes on stuff they need to restock & so forth. The range hood and wall cabinet are in & stained (I had to do touch-ups bc there were parts I missed due to poor lighting). LVP flooring was put down (just yesterday) and it's looking a lot better.
mpantrytouchup1-jpg.23275
mwallcabtouchup1-jpg.23276

This is the only photo I got from this angle thus far-- I'll have to get another one now that the floor is done.
mkitnewflrinstall8-jpg.23299

mkitnewflrdone3-jpg.23302
mkitnewflrdone5-jpg.23303

Bottom right, where it says upload a file. It will allow you to search thru your computer until you see the pic you want. Allow it to upload, check full size versus thumbnail size, then click post reply.

Back