Post Your Kitchen!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two more pics after he cleaned up-- there was a strawberry top on the floor in front of the trash that I didn't notice 'til later.mkitflr+trashcan.jpg mkitnewflrdone11.jpg

It's looking real nice. I'm not too happy about that wire (i think it's a wire) behind the range. Couldn't figure out how to hide behind the wall? Actually, what are you doing to protect the wall behind that thing?

Maybe you just added a cord to plug in the range hood to a socket behind the oven?

If so, at least cover it with a surface raceway.

Yeah, my friend added a plug behind the range hood. The walls are something similar to shiplap underneath the paneling & he didn't want to try cutting in to it to add a socket behind it. We are discussing creating some sort of backsplash, but he has a lot of other things to fix before he gets to that. Eventually I think that cord will be hidden. The walls will get a different color & I've discussed putting something behind the stove a little underneath to prevent stuff from falling off the back behind it.
I didn't get a pic yet, but he got a new fridge-- a larger one with the freezer as a drawer on the bottom. Its taller than the one in the picture.
Looking at the space in the kitchen, in retrospect I wish he'd put the stove perpendicular to the sink & counter and gone around the corner a bit to have more prep area. There was enough room to do it but it would have been cramped. Too late now though.

Tile is out of the question, but what would make a good backsplash? I'll talk to him about getting something to protect the wire for the range hood. I need to upload the new pics of the new fridge he got but my phone needs to charge.

No idea, Greg.

So, decided to go with a stainless steel backsplash on back & side.
backsplashsidepslash1-jpg.23862

Didn't like the gap but found a 2"x2" angle in the metal stock section. Not only does it keep stuff from falling, bit works as a shelf.
stovesideshelf2-jpg.23878

stovesideshelf1-jpg.23877

All of the upper cabinets are in over the side area, pantry got pushed back to line up better, & just 1 shim needs to be trimmed before we can do the toekick trim. I put a coat of poly on all of the cabinets. Door handles just arrived but I need to pick a good time to go over to help my friend install them.
sidecabinets1-jpg.23789

Friend got a new fridge (but this pic is with the old stove-- I need to get a picture of the setup with the new stove)
sinkcabfinished-jpg.23795

Plans are to put a magnetic shelf on top of the gap at the back of the stove to keep stuff from falling & to have extra storage. Still need some gap covers for both sides of the stove. But it looks a lot better now. We also plan to hide the cord behind a metal angle and have a flat stock piece used to trim out the edge to make it look better. If things go as planned, that huge broken wood window behind the stove will be replaced with a metal 24"W x 36"H window from my house.

It's all coming together very nicely, especially considering where your friend started. I am still a bit concerned about that wire behind the stove. Maybe you could put it in a metal track or something. And a cloth curtain so close to the stove also seems like an invitation for trouble....granted, it's not a gas stove with flames....but still in all......

It's all coming together very nicely, especially considering where your friend started. I am still a bit concerned about that wire behind the stove. Maybe you could put it in a metal track or something. And a cloth curtain so close to the stove also seems like an invitation for trouble....granted, it's not a gas stove with flames....but still in all......
We are going to trim the window moulding a bit more to run a little channel for the cord & cover it with a metal angle. A flat piece of metal will also go up next to it for appearance. So instead of seeing white moulding behind the corner of the stove, it will be metal. I still need to get over there at some point to help install the cabinet pulls.

Still need to put on drawer pulls & put up trim, but got this photo today:
kitchen2-jpg.23978

Got HyperTough slim LED under cabinet lights. They are brighter than the ceiling fan light. In my friend's house. My own kitchen is an absolute disaster. Cats and dogs have been tearing things up.
20200918_141243.jpg20200918_141409.jpg

A water gun makes a pretty good cat training tool.
Lol. I wasn't home when they did it. Dogs also messed stuff up. They dragged in trash from outside and ripped all kinds of stuff open.

I understand that things have to have priorities and sometimes you can't do it all at once, but please ask you friend to be sure that there is no hazards around the stove. Paint isn't a good fire retardant and wires can melt
Good timing on this reply.
im in the process of deciding what back splash to use behind a similar range. since I just used a countertop refinishing kit, my sister suggested I make one to match. Using 1/4” plywood and adding the three coats of counter top refinish paint. Now I’m wondering about the safety of that backsplash. Maybe for safety I should use solid stainless steel. Here are some pics of how it,looks today. Any opinions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
How did you attach it to the cabinet? And how does it work batteries, electricity?
The lights attach with 2 screws that don't sink all the way in to the wood. They hang a bit so the grooves on the lights can catch and then slide over a little (so they need to be offset just enough to compensate for the final position). They connect to power via electric cable and can be turned on/off with a battery operated remote control. Only one of the lights is plugged in to the socket, the others are linked with included cables. My friend drilled through the overhanging part of the cabinet on the undersides to be able to tuck the cables up so they aren't visible unless you stick your head under there.
Good timing on this reply.
im in the process of deciding what back splash to use behind a similar range. since I just used a countertop refinishing kit, my sister suggested I make one to match. Using 1/4” plywood and adding the three coats of counter top refinish paint. Now I’m wondering about the safety of that backsplash. Maybe for safety I should use solid stainless steel. Here are some pics of how it,looks today. Any opinions?
Epoxy can melt with heat-- if you noticed some of the instructions for installation involve removing bubbles with heat. It may be fine for walls behind counters, but I would not recommend it for behind a stove. I think Stainless Steel would be the way to go for that.

Back