Post Your Kitchen!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eddie, that looks very cool!
Spicoli, the parquet pieces are not very long-- maybe 4 or 5 inches? I'd have to measure, and are relatively thin. I'll have to get pictures at some point.

I would need a picture to get my brain working, but I'm a scrap wood hoarder, to the point I have made tabletops out of pallets.

I need to find the cutting boards my late elderly friend made for me. He also made some sort of African instrument from a plan in a Good Woodworking magazine. He gave me the magazine but I hope the cats didn't destroy it. It's in an area that is a storage area right now and I need to go through and find stuff.
Very cool cutting board!

There are a LOT of downed oak trees around my yard. Very large ones. I wish there were people around who could cut them up and make boards out of them. I may talk with my good neighbor, Mike, to see about getting some boards out of the trees to use. Some of them are preventing my fence from being repaired.

I need to get pictures of my friend's kitchen and also still need him to give me measurements. I need to get a good measuring tape and measure the walls at different heights and get the layout of the whole room. I wish there was a good digital one to use because I have problems with my eyesight. I can't see the little marks on the tape anymore.

I need to find the cutting boards my late elderly friend made for me. He also made some sort of African instrument from a plan in a Good Woodworking magazine. He gave me the magazine but I hope the cats didn't destroy it. It's in an area that is a storage area right now and I need to go through and find stuff.
Very cool cutting board!

There are a LOT of downed oak trees around my yard. Very large ones. I wish there were people around who could cut them up and make boards out of them. I may talk with my good neighbor, Mike, to see about getting some boards out of the trees to use. Some of them are preventing my fence from being repaired.

I need to get pictures of my friend's kitchen and also still need him to give me measurements. I need to get a good measuring tape and measure the walls at different heights and get the layout of the whole room. I wish there was a good digital one to use because I have problems with my eyesight. I can't see the little marks on the tape anymore.

Have you reached out on Craigs or other sites like that? Some people have lumber milling equipment that aren't in the "phone book" and don't advertise. You might get a deal where you get half the boards back in exchange for the job being free, or something like that.

I need a laser measure also.

There's no Craigslist for my immediate area (I've looked) but there are some "swap shops" online for the area. I've posted but haven't gotten any responses. I hate to see that lumber go to waste.

Was over at my friend's house today but it was too hectic to get measurements done. We'll have to work on that later this week. I know he wants to have cabinets across the top. I'll have to play around with sketches in MSPaint and then in sketchup once I get measurements. Right now it's freaking cold. It was raining ice outside.

There's no Craigslist for my immediate area (I've looked) but there are some "swap shops" online for the area. I've posted but haven't gotten any responses. I hate to see that lumber go to waste.

Was over at my friend's house today but it was too hectic to get measurements done. We'll have to work on that later this week. I know he wants to have cabinets across the top. I'll have to play around with sketches in MSPaint and then in sketchup once I get measurements. Right now it's freaking cold. It was raining ice outside.

Here's a bunch of sites like Craigs. I have only heard of Ebay, didn't know there were so many. I designed my island with Sketchup, but it took a good while. I want to get the Shop version, but don't know if it's worth it compared to the free version.

I think I have about 3 weeks until it hits the -25 plus temps. Then I can sit around and Sketchup all day.

https://wellkeptwallet.com/sites-like-craigslist/

Thanks for the link, Spicoli.
With sketchup you can get the free trial of the pro version but it has a limit and you have to uninstall and reinstall it to get it to work again. I didn't realize there was a "shop" version. I wish they hadn't made it cost an annual fee to keep it updated and running. Makes me wish I knew how to code programs like that myself.
I need to put some reflectix in my windows or something to try to keep it warmer on my room. I have to keep my keyboard, mouse, etc under a blanket and type without being able to see my keyboard at all bc it's so damn cold-- and it doesn't get as cold here as it does in the north, but the moisture in the air makes it worse.

Covering the window in my friend's kitchen to keep cold/heat out is another thing he wants to do. That old nasty window behind his sink is not sealed properly at all. He's thinking of removing that window and re-using windows from my house when we replace some of ours. They are not great, but better than what he has.

Welcome, I hope someone buys the trees or you find someone that can mill them.

Yeah, that's why I haven't bought Sketchup. If I do a shop, I will and consider that a one time purchase. They should set a one time price with unlimited updates.

As far as windows, I'm trying Window Quilts in the computer room, which are expensive but tend to work. I need to leave them off one night and get a temp in the morning and then compare that to a morning in which they were on all night. They attach with Velcro on all 4 sides.

Before I buy more for other rooms, I'm going to do the same temperature test using only Double bubble insulation on Ebay as that is much cheaper.

https://www.windowquilt.com/

Quilt.JPGQuilt2.JPG

Did the double bubble insulation work? What exactly is it, anyway? I'm going to need a solution to keep my house warmer on Friday bc it's supposed to get very cold. I'm sure my friend could use something for keeping cold out/heat in as well.

Came here to post the latest addition to his kitchen: Rev-A-Shelf tip out drawer. There was already a drawer face but it was a dummy drawer. I got the rev-a-shelf on sale as a surprise for him.
revashelf1.jpg

Did the double bubble insulation work? What exactly is it, anyway? I'm going to need a solution to keep my house warmer on Friday bc it's supposed to get very cold. I'm sure my friend could use something for keeping cold out/heat in as well.

Here is an example, since you will need to get it at a Big Box store. Ebay or other places online are much cheaper. The window quilt doesn't seem to help much, but I have to do a temperature test.

In the past, using a Double Bubble plug worked pretty good, but it allows more condensation in against the window. It freezes on the inside anyway, just not as much.

A Double Bubble plug is cardboard cut to the size of the inside of the window times 3, with a layer of Double Bubble taped to the cardboard layers. I don't know if I could use strictly cardboard and leave out the expensive Double Bubble, that's another temperature test I'm going to do.

In years past, I plugged my garage window in both Winter and Summer, and removed the plug for a "feel only" test, and the temp difference was at least 20 degrees both ways.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=double+bubble+insulation

Thanks, Spicoli! I hope they have some locally. May need to see about a temporary insulation for the well house to keep it from freezing.
Edit: Followed the link and Reflectix came up. This is what we used in my friend's house & it has been quite effective. We will have to find something other than cardboard as roaches love to get into it. Friend has tried getting rid of them but his house is not well sealed so they are getting in somewhere & the damp climate seems to agree with them.

I'll need to get pics of his new fridge setup when the house is cleaner.

Thanks, Spicoli! I hope they have some locally. May need to see about a temporary insulation for the well house to keep it from freezing.
Edit: Followed the link and Reflectix came up. This is what we used in my friend's house & it has been quite effective. We will have to find something other than cardboard as roaches love to get into it. Friend has tried getting rid of them but his house is not well sealed so they are getting in somewhere & the damp climate seems to agree with them.

I'll need to get pics of his new fridge setup when the house is cleaner.

Welcome. You have used the double bubble, or the radiant barrier? (without bubbles).

Have you tried lining the inside of his house with Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for the roaches?

Not sure about without bubbles. but I've done the Reflectix. Also have tried the food grade diatomaceous earth. Didn't work on these roaches.

Not sure about without bubbles. but I've done the Reflectix. Also have tried the food grade diatomaceous earth. Didn't work on these roaches.
Well, if the DE didn't work, they are Men In Black Aliens.

Looks good, considering the 4 bandages are covering the gash.;)

In case anyone is considering formica here's a shot of one of my seams. The other seam is in front of the cook top and is only 1¼" long. That's why I chose formica over granite which has ugly seams. My counter shape is like the bottom half of an H.0211211109.jpg

Spicoli, they are Vincent D'Onofrio level roaches. LOL. The DE took awhile to kill the fire ants too. I wonder if it's bc the climate here is so humid/damp.

Havasu, looking good! I remember you redid your kitchen a few years back, right? I like how well sealed everything is to protect from spray paint.

Eddie, I think it depends on how well it's installed. The formica seams on my counters are horrible, but they were an amateur DIY job.

As an aside, bit Reflectix and moving blankets installed to keep the heat in. Kitchen is already warmer than usual.

Turning our really good. The doors are being painted at the shop, two doors are being remade because they were off 1/2", and they still need to include the baseboards, trim pieces, and new soft close drawers with undermount brackets.20210211_122939.jpg20210211_122333.jpg

Latest posts

Back