Post Your Kitchen!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHAT GREAT KITCHENS! hope ours turns out as good as some of yours!!
we're in the middle of doing our kitchen. electricians and drywallers have already been here. we had a wall removed and another two widened.
We're going to go with LillyAnn Cabinets. RTA Cabinets: Wholesale Kitchen Cabinets and Bathroom Cabinets - Lily Ann. They're RTA's (ready to assemble). Has anyone heard of this brand? a LOT cheaper than Wellborne (we went to their factory). It will be a chore to assemble first and then install, but we also went to the LA showroom outside Atlanta and the cabinets are very nice and not the cheap particleboard, they're 1/2" solid wood.

Hamberg, while I like the color & style of the original cabinets, I have to say the layout, appliances, and countertops are definitely an improvement. The space looks much more functional. Very nice wide fridge. I think the next time I get a new fridge I'm getting one without an ice maker. We don't have the water hooked up anymore & we never use the icemaker anyway. The double ovens are very nice too. The large island is great.

My friend is working on some changes to his kitchen. Moved the fridge across the room and is going to install a butcherblock countertop and another cabinet. Base cabinet is in place and butcherblock is loosely on. I'm working on getting it all sealed up but we need to get more lumber.

This was before I painted the cabinet and trim (which is only loosely sitting there and will be ripped down to fit)
butcherblockpreseal.jpg

And this is it now (the formica had to be cut back because it broke.
butcherblock1st&base2ndcoat4.jpg

Hamberg, while I like the color & style of the original cabinets, I have to say the layout, appliances, and countertops are definitely an improvement. The space looks much more functional. Very nice wide fridge. I think the next time I get a new fridge I'm getting one without an ice maker. We don't have the water hooked up anymore & we never use the icemaker anyway. The double ovens are very nice too. The large island is great.

Hey @zannej - water in the fridge door was "almost" a deal killer for the unit we have; there is an ice maker in the freezer section but we don not use it much as there is a 24" clear ice maker in the island and we added an instant hot and water filter to the prep-sink.

Here are some before and after from a job we just finished. Foreclosure property we rehabbed. (we get paid to take pictures :O)) so it is tough to see the bad quality and workmanship from the before pics.

And that 90's tile was hiding some decent hardwood.

IMG_1293.JPGIMG_1289.JPGIMG_1287.JPGIMG_1284.JPG

It looks nice, Hamberg!

I went over to sand and put a 2nd coat of butcher block oil on my friend's counter. Couldn't stay long since a perishable package had arrived at the post office. I need to upload the pics later.

My friend moved the wires for an outlet that was hidden by a base cabinet up and replaced the receptacle with a brand new one. He moved the wall cabinet from the laundry room to the kitchen and set the microwave on it. I still need to go over and paint it.
microwavecabinkunfin1.jpg

@Bvgary - around here (Philly area) you supply the cabinet supplier with the rough dimension and they do the design and layout (with plans). Most of these (bigger) places use 2020 Design software (which you can purchase but is bloody expensive :O)). Cool part is based on the layout/design it'll feed in the cabinet manufacturer info and tell you which cabinets can be used and will not allow an overlap or similar

A retired builder friend of mine was installing cabinets as a part time job. He had just completed a Smallbone kitchen and the owners decided they needed one more cabinet. He said I can build it for you. When he finished it the comment was, "You could have built them all." He was one of the original Ranneklev Brothers in NY State.

I used Sketchup to do the layout for my friend's kitchen so I could figure out what size cabinets would fit. I haven't updated it to account for the change with the butcherblock size, but this is the most recent plan I had drawn up (I just stuck in stove, dishwasher, fridge, and microwave that weren't the right ones just to have something. I drew the cabinets and range hood from scratch. The over-the-sink rack is also not the right one.
sketchupkitchenuplans1.pngsketchupKitchenuplans2nowalls.pngsketchupKitchenuplans3nowalls.png

I didn't bother with the window as it got covered with Reflectix but at some point my friend might build a frame to let a little bit of light in.

I know this is just concept pictures but this is the current layout my friend has (he's got a taller over-the-sink rack though).
sketchupbbcabssept-2.png

And these are the plans:
sketchupbbcabsplan2.pngsketchupbbcabsplan3.png

He's trying to send me pics of the upper microwave cabinet that I painted. But I just realized I need to go back and paint more of the side.

Found a couple real estate pics of my sister's kitchen before she bought her current house:
1640956322076.jpeg
1640956341071.jpeg

She has cats so there are no potted plants and such up on top of the ledge above the wall cabinets.

She's got an air fryer instead of that red thingamajig and her trash can is on the opposite side- cat food bowls go where the trash can is in this pic. She has a stepstool around since she's only 5'3" and reaching the microwave is not terribly easy.

One of these days I need to get her to send me current pics but she's super busy with work.

LOTS of cabinets... Does she want to change something? I wouldn't change anything.

She cooks dinner but I don't think she cooks many other meals. She has a pretty demanding job. She liked the house because of the high ceiling. I do wish my kitchen had the style of doors hers has. Although, raised panel cathedral style would be nicer, but flat panel ones are good too.

For me, that Island is saved by the sink. If not, I would rip it out. Those big cabinets on the Left are what I want.

They do have a formal dining room, but I ate at the island when we were visiting.

Latest posts

Back