Pot filler with low water pressure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlunceford

Reaction score
We bought a lovely old (c.1850) house recently and previous owners had done a less than perfect renovation. I was excited to see a pot filler over the stove but water only trickles from it even with both valves wide open. The whole unit sits sort of catty-whompers on the wall, too. I would welcome suggestions to remedy both issues but especially the water pressure. TIA!

How’s the pressure in the rest of the house. What size line feeds it and how far is the run? Where that line connects is it old plumbing and is there a valve there?

Basically there has to be a restriction someplace in the run.

And welcome to the forum.
:welcome:

Check the aerator for obstruction. Make sure the valves are turned on at the water connections. Check for a plugged water filter if it has its own inline filter.

... what’s a pot filler? Can you post a picture?

Remove the pot filler, they are a stupid contraption.
What will you do if it leaks, or won’t turn off?
Or starts spraying water?
Now you have water spilling out over the stove, but there is no drain there.

I installed a pot filler at my old house but spend an additional $15 and installed a dedicated shut off valve inside the cabinet adjacent to the pot filler. You know, I don't believe I ever used it, but it added thousands to my resale value.

A shutoff makes them much safer to operate, but I rarely see a shutoff installed by one.

Or if there is one, the owners don’t know where, and it is buried behind pots or other stuff in the cabinets, so what good will it do when water starts flooding onto the stove?
Sometimes I find the unknown shutoff, and they are like “Huh? What?”.

They are kind of cool looking, but I think they are a gimmicky nuisance.

We moved here recently so haven’t sorted out yet where all the various shut-offs are. I’ll try cleaning the strainer and see if that helps, for sure. We will be pulling the stove soon to install a new one and I’m hoping that will reveal the shutoff. If not, either it is in the crawl space or there isn’t one. The way the water flows, I’m afraid the previous owner had the installer tap into an existing water line, as you would with an ice maker. I hope that isn’t the case. The rest of the house has great water pressure - no problems at all except that when we moved in, they opened the valve on the ice maker line fully and after a few weeks the strong pressure blew out the connection to the refrigerator and we had to replace it and clean up a lot of water. Someone asked for a photo. It is attached. Adjustments.jpg

Back