pre-hung door on tile

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by analogmusicman, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1

analogmusicman

analogmusicman

analogmusicman

every pre-hung door I've installed comes with a plastic "spacer" on each leg of the frame presumably to hold the frame off the concrete if the door is going on a concrete slab. my question is whether that "spacer" is needed if the door is going to sit on tile which is attached to the concrete?

tnx,

2. Apr 19, 2017 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

That would be my guess and if the floor is out of level you will want to adjust a leg length so the both sit on the tile.

3. Apr 19, 2017 #3

analogmusicman

analogmusicman

analogmusicman

yes,but the question remains whether those "spacers" are needed. they add about a 1/4 in. to the height of the door and this leaves too much space under the door .

tnx

4. Apr 20, 2017 #4

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

They are there so the concrete board can slip under the legs and then the tile goes up against the leg, if you already have tile there then they want to set on the tile.
    You would like to have the legs about an inch longer that the door and sometimes you do have to cut the bottom of the door.
    And in older houses the old doors were 78" instead of the 80" of today, then you have to adjust the framing above the door.