Precision boring help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wheels I'm working with are about $800 a set... I've already lost $800 on one set and I don't really want to gamble with $800 each time I go to a different machine shop to see if they know what they are doing or not.
I'd just weld up the other set and remachine them... like we do with crankshafts and camshafts...

It's not the safety of the wheels we are worried about but YOUR safety trying to deal with the extremely high forces to be encountered while trying to hand rout aluminum!

They have videos of guys doing this on utube and the carbide bit cuts that aluminum like is was butter.

Yeah, so you go slow and clock wise.... I've found a bit that is designed to minimize kick back so it's not like it's dangerous. It's just a router that can be controlled

Now, I've used those large drills to drill in to steel which works great till the bit is about to go thru and it hangs up... that's pretty nasty cause they big drill will start turning so you gotta be ready to let go!

They have videos of guys doing this on utube and the carbide bit cuts that aluminum like is was butter.

Yeah, so you go slow and clock wise.... I've found a bit that is designed to minimize kick back so it's not like it's dangerous. It's just a router that can be controlled

Now, I've used those large drills to drill in to steel which works great till the bit is about to go thru and it hangs up... that's pretty nasty cause they big drill will start turning so you gotta be ready to let go!
Even a high speed steel bit will cut aluminum... or soft steel...

As a drill bit starts to break through, have to lessen the pressure on it and once again finish SLOWLY...
Powerful machinery is simply able to maintain it's forward drilling speed as it passes on out...

Here's a few videos showing that this is not dangerous, plus I spent years working in auto repair and construction (on and off) and have done work that was much more dangerous than this...

As a drill bit starts to break through, have to lessen the pressure on it and once again finish SLOWLY...

Sometimes finishing slowly will not get the bit to finally drill thru... so, sometimes the drill needs to be secured to something solid to prevent it from turning as it is drilling on thru.

A little responsible Jerry Rigging helps a lot sometimes. 2thumbs-up.gif

Back