Pressure sensor issue?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerewrya

Reaction score
I have an airtemp (aka nordyne) vg7sd gas furnace in an upflow configuration.* I began having issues about a month ago when my HSI failed... Easy fix, but in the process I noticed two other issues..

A condensate line from the inline condensate drain to the top of the secondary heat exchanger drip pan was missing.* I procured some tubing and installed, just as shown in the furnace installation manual.* Pictured, and drawn in blue.

Also, I found that there was a gap where the flue pipe connects to the inline drain where condensate had been dripping out.* I cut a very small section of flue pipe out, and installed a coupler so I could get the flue pipe closer to the inducer motor, and properly seated into the inline drain.* Upon restarting the furnace I used a soap solution and confirmed no leaks.

Several hours later it was found that the control board displayed a pressure sensor fault.* I traced this to the pressure sensor on the condensate drip pan.* Verified j-trap wasn't blocked, but had the proper amount of water in it.* I carefully confirmed operation of the pressure switch using an ohm meter.* I confirmed the vacuum tubing from the switch to the drip pan was leak and clog free.* I ended up reconnecting the tube to the drip pan and blew into it.* When I reconnected everything the furnace started up and ran properly.* By this point I had also removed the tubing from the inline drain and replaced the caps that were there previously.

Ever since then I have intermittent issues where a pressure limit fault appears and the furnace locks out.* I cleaned all condensate lines, removed the inducer motor and verified the collector pan is free of debris and even replaced the pressure switch in case it was somehow getting stuck.* I'm now at a complete loss....

Every time the issue occurs I can fix it by blowing back into the condensate pan, yet I still notice this issue every 3 days or so.* If I don't touch the furnace it will eventually come out of lockout on it's own.*

The only other thing I can think to do is replace the inducer pressure switch... I haven't been removing that switche's line before blowing back into the condensate pan, and I guess I probably should be doing that...

Any ideas???View attachment 20180202_202527.jpg

As best I can tell, it appears to run on some form of electricity. Be patient and I'm sure someone who knows these things will be along.

I have an airtemp (aka nordyne) vg7sd gas furnace in an upflow configuration.* I began having issues about a month ago when my HSI failed... Easy fix, but in the process I noticed two other issues..

A condensate line from the inline condensate drain to the top of the secondary heat exchanger drip pan was missing.* I procured some tubing and installed, just as shown in the furnace installation manual.* Pictured, and drawn in blue.

Also, I found that there was a gap where the flue pipe connects to the inline drain where condensate had been dripping out.* I cut a very small section of flue pipe out, and installed a coupler so I could get the flue pipe closer to the inducer motor, and properly seated into the inline drain.* Upon restarting the furnace I used a soap solution and confirmed no leaks.

Several hours later it was found that the control board displayed a pressure sensor fault.* I traced this to the pressure sensor on the condensate drip pan.* Verified j-trap wasn't blocked, but had the proper amount of water in it.* I carefully confirmed operation of the pressure switch using an ohm meter.* I confirmed the vacuum tubing from the switch to the drip pan was leak and clog free.* I ended up reconnecting the tube to the drip pan and blew into it.* When I reconnected everything the furnace started up and ran properly.* By this point I had also removed the tubing from the inline drain and replaced the caps that were there previously.

Ever since then I have intermittent issues where a pressure limit fault appears and the furnace locks out.* I cleaned all condensate lines, removed the inducer motor and verified the collector pan is free of debris and even replaced the pressure switch in case it was somehow getting stuck.* I'm now at a complete loss....

Every time the issue occurs I can fix it by blowing back into the condensate pan, yet I still notice this issue every 3 days or so.* If I don't touch the furnace it will eventually come out of lockout on it's own.*

The only other thing I can think to do is replace the inducer pressure switch... I haven't been removing that switche's line before blowing back into the condensate pan, and I guess I probably should be doing that...

Any ideas???View attachment 18734

Last furnace similar problem. Replaced pressure switch, still nothing, afterwards was told remove hose, cleanout port on inducer ….worked great then.

I have had a situation where the inducer blower motor is running just fine but, for whatever reason, over time it just wasn't getting enough speed to 'make' the pressure switch. Replaced the motor and everything worked fine. However, we need to be troubleshooting more scientifically here. Being an intermittent problem it will be hard to proof but, am thinking that a new pressure switch is cheaper than an inducer motor and it never hurts to have a spare pressure switch in the event that doesn't solve the problem. Otherwise, you will need vacuum/pressure gauges to see how much the motor is creating to the switch to determine which is faulty/weak.

Back