Pressure Washer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas529

Reaction score
Have a gas pressure washer with Honda engine. Probable 12 yr old and used several times per year.
Last time used it would be going fine and then start to Chile out and run out of pressure. If I released the trigger the pressure would build back up and run fine for 10 min or so and then do same. Plug recently replaced and engine runs fine.
Water pump? If so is it worth replacing? Easy to replace? New one like this is about $450.
Thanks

I have a Pressure washer with a Honda engine. I took my pump apart & gave it a good cleaning, works great. Easiest first step is to check the screen on the inlet side where the hose connects. Sounds like the pump is starving for water.

Talked to repair shop they said not economical to fix. New 400. Cost to repair min of 200. Don’t know how much Is pump and what is labor. Plus I’ve never done this before so have to add the aggravation.
Don’t know what I could get for it in the shape it’s in. Maybe someone who knows what they’re doing could change pump and get some use from it. Engine is good.
Don’t know how to check for leaks in seals washers gaskets. Inlet Screen going into pump is clean.

Do you let water run through the pump and hose before starting the engine? If you have air in the line or pump, it will cavitate.

Yes always follow this procedure
Hook up all hoses
Turn on water and squeeze trigger to get stream
Start engine
Pull trigger for stream and pressure.

I agree with Gary and Oldog. Mine will do the same thing when I first start it or if someone in the house opens a line and draws the pressure down.

My one hose works better than the other also as the bad one wants to kink and restrict flow.

You changed the plug make sure you clean the air filter also and start with fresh gas.

I’ll try with not using any other water. We’re on a well so there is a possibility that the pum is cycling and the pressure in the waters line goes down causing this.
Did some checking. I bought this’s new 15 yrs ago. New pump will be right at 100 bucks. New p washer just like this at HD is 259.
If the other ideas don’t work I have to make a decision if it’s worth 159 for a new one.
What do you do with a pw that needs a pump?

I have determined the problem is the well tank running low on pressure and then thee washer runs out of water. So question is how to manage this. Should I
Just let off the trigger and let pressure build back up or turn off washer and then restart when pressure is back up?
Or maybe something else.

Unless you can find a better supply of water, I think your stuck doing exactly what you said...wait for pressure to come back up.

Yep sounds like that is it. Good catch.

What are your high and low points set at on your pump?

Best thing is to just work around it and let the water tank come back up. It wont hurt the pump to leave the engine running for a minute to regain pressure. I think the only thing to worry about is running the pump dry.

putting a smaller tip in the washer might also help.

You can also install an additional storage tank to the system.

So then it would just take longer to cavitate?
That would depend on your duty cycle or on off cycle when using your washer. If you stop here and there to move things or move your ladder then a tank could help. With a well and an air tank without a bladder there is a big range depending on how waterlogged the tank is. Bladder tanks are normally small, thus more cycles.

I recently purchased a pressure washer. It has a Honda GX 200 with RCV Triplex pump 2.8 GPM, 3300 PSI. The service guy from that company assured me this pump was as good or better than the comparable CAT pump. I paid $765. So far I really like it.

Latest posts

Back