Preventing rodent entry to crawl space

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisenfaust8

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on a better solution to fill these brick vents? I currently have some plastic mesh stuffed in there, but I was just under the house rebaiting and there were a lot of bodies in one area down there, which was on the other side of these vents. The rest of the vents on the house were easier to seal up. I'm suspecting that they are making it past the mesh.

Ideally I'm looking for a solution that still allows some airflow...if there isn't one, I will have to just stuff steel wool on all of them.

On a side note, the moles have made several forays under the foundation :mad::mad::mad: and I've heard that rats (and mice) can use these tunnels to get under the house. Is there anything that can be done for that? The moles like to tunnel right along the block skirting and apparently have gotten down low enough to circumvent the foundation.

20170514_161211.jpg

Attach some heavy mesh on the inside and sprinkle some mothballs in the crawl space. I've had success using moth balls keeping squirrels out.

I would not seal up the vents. they have a purpose. But you could use a metal screen to protect from critters. Plastic isn't good enough as rodents can gnaw through it. I would use aluminum window screen. And seal the edges completely, as mice can squeeze through the smallest holes.

I would use hardware cloth, it has 1/4" square holes keeps the critters out but allows air movement.

Pack some ready mix concrete mix into the holes under the foundation and add a little water.

Moles dig in top soil, this might say something about the dirt the foundation was place on, so replacing it would be a good idea. Even if it is one tunnel at a time.

I would use hardware cloth, it has 1/4" square holes keeps the critters out but allows air movement.
Done correctly, hardware cloth will keep out the rodents. However, I would prefer to use aluminum window screen fabric to keep out both rodents and insects.

Thanks everyone, I'll start with the hardware cloth and work to more complex as needed.

Back