Previous owner a nut job?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertThoreson

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of buying a house. It's three stories on three lots and got a great deal. Threw the home inspection and walk threws, we noticed there were no lights in any of the rooms. Long story short, the fixtures are patches over the switches are there but dead because the wiring from them to the lights is knob and tube. All the outlets are romex basement is all romex and on circuit breakers. So basically he updates half the system and not the rest. It still has plaster walls so I'm not sure how he did the outlets but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I'd like to see a photo of this;"the fixtures are patches over the switches are there".

That is supposed to say" the fixtures are patched over, but the switches are there." Sorry.

Like I said, I will post photos of everything once we get the keys, shouldn't be more than a couple weeks. What really had the electrition confused that I had in there is how he upgraded the outlets without putting any holes in the walls. We thought maybe he went up the walls from the basement for the first floor but then how did he do the second floor? And why do just the outlets and put expensive new switches in, but connect the switches to the old wiring that is dead and goes to nothing. The electrition said they are $40 apiece, but I found some similar on Amazon for $25 but still, every switch in every room for no reason. Guy had to spend close to $300.

Last edited:
Thanks.

It's hard to say, without being there, in this day of long reach flexible drill bits.

Back