Prime under exterior caulk?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Doing maintenance on my 70-yo v-groove shiplap siding. The boards are horizontal and have horizontal cracks at the board ends. Moisture has degraded the wood adjacent to the cracks. Where this is minor (say, 1/16 inch), I wire brush out the worst, then stabilize the sides with PC-petrifier, and caulk with DAP Alex Fast Dry (sand-able to an invisible repair). However, where wood degradation is worse, I cut a deep V-groove down to sound wood (usually not more than 1/4 inch wide at the surface. My question is this: for these deep grooves, do you think the caulk will adhere better to the bare (sound) wood or should I hit it with primer first?

Thanks for any insights. Also, If you have alternative approaches I am open to suggestion.

The petrifier seals the wood, which may also affect the adhesive properties of the caulk, however if you are satisfied with the results, so far, just continue.Time will tell.

Back