Proper drainage under deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikasintl

Reaction score
We are building a deck that will be only 1 feet above the ground ... and wondering how can we make sure that water is drained properly... we are close to Seattle and it rains a lot so if water becomes stagnant under the deck ...we will be miserable with mosquito etc.

In my deck I made sure I didn’t have any low spots under it and a good grade to the edges in all direction. I noticed when I was under it the other day hooking up the hot tub that I was getting little groves where the water drips. Nothing I’m going to worry about yet. I will be spraying under mine if we ever get any dry weather for bugs.

Personally, if it were my house and the deck were going to be that close to the ground I'd do a patio instead.

Bud's advice is spot on, you could also cover the ground with weed fabric and crushed stone to solve your other issue and reduce the chance of little ditches where the water drips off the deck.

If water is not collecting there now, it shouldn't start just because of the deck. If you do have drainage issues, now is the time to address them; the same way you would if you were to drain it from the yard. Make sure your downspouts are pointing away & downhill.
Sparky's suggestion about the weed fabric is good in any case. A low deck could potentially have weed issues between the boards.

Back