Pull-On Shower Trim Replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvyCat

Reaction score
Hi, kids!

I haven't checked in for a while because I haven't had any stupid questions to ask or learned advice to give. But I have one now (stupid question, not advice).

I'm trying to revamp my guest bath. I took out the bright brass showers doors, and now need to replace the bright brass shower fixtures. I already had to replace the tub spout because the diverter leaked. And also the shower head and arm because I have a fave low flow, but jet powered, shower head I like.

Now I need the water control trim. I'm not sure exactly what to call it, but you have to pull to turn on the water, and then turn to adjust the temp. From my research, that is one of two types, and to change it would be huge work.

My goal is elderly friendly. Clearly, I don't have the valve that requires a simple turn. But is the kind of trim that is a lever to turn on the water (as opposed to grab and pull) before adjusting the temp the same?

(BTW, my "advice" for removing 20-year-old pure silicone is WD-40. I kid you not.)

sounds like you have a moen shower/ tub valve

is this what you have?
Moen2.jpg

If so, you can get a single lever to replace the old acrylic handle

Tub and Shower Valve.JPG

Pretty much. I don't know why I didn't think to include a picture. I want to replace the whole shebang in brushed nickel.

IMG_3034.jpg

Thanks, Frodo. I appreciate your thoroughness, but just to be sure, can a handle that you “lever” up and then turn to adjust the temp replace my fixture? I have my eye on Moen Hensley.

Thanks, Frodo. I appreciate your thoroughness, but just to be sure, can a handle that you “lever” up and then turn to adjust the temp replace my fixture? I have my eye on Moen Hensley.

call moen tech support to be double sure
I believe you can,
see the parts drawing that i posted,
but when you start mixing handles from one model to another. I do not know,

Back