Putting bigger box in brick mailbox?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimpy

Reaction score
I have a classic, brick mailbox with a standard T1 box built in the early 90s. I'd like to get one that's closer to 1'x1'. I have two questions:
1: what's the construction inside the box? Will I only have to modify the front veneer of brick, or is there more brick on the inside?
2: What are means and methods for making the hole larger? Score a line and chip away?

No idea how it was built. I'd use a angle grinder with a masonry disk to score the outline of the new box in the face of the brick. Go as deep as you can. Then I'd use a cold chisel to open up the space behind the face brick. You do run the risk of breaking it though. Drilling holes with a hammer drill in deeper will make it easier to break out the bricks.

From watching youtube videos on how to build these things, it looks like there's two options. Below the mailbox is a CMU core with brick veneer, then around and above the mail box is either solid brick/mortar or a styrofoam mold with a brick veneer. I guess I'll just have to find out.

Latest posts

Back