Question about contractor's license for bath project

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by drew2000, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1

drew2000

drew2000

drew2000

Hey All,

My wife and I met with a kitchen & bath remodeling company for a remodel of our master bath.

The remodeling company holds a Class A contractors license.

The company brought 3 trades people through our house to review the project: one plumber, one electrician, and one carpenter/tile guy.

After the trades visit, I asked the Remodeling company to supply license and insurance information for the tradespeople. Only the plumber and electrician are licensed, the carpenter/tile guy is not licensed.

My Question:

Is this normal or should I run for the hills?

I found a state of VA Web Site that mentioned that contractors must be licensed in VA. I am not sure if the remodeling company's Class A license would automatically cover the unlicensed carpenter.

Thank you!

Drew

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. Mar 28, 2013 #2

JoeD

JoeD

JoeD

I think it would depend if the carpenter/tile guy is a sub contractor or works for the original contractor as an employee. Also probably depends on local laws.

3. Mar 28, 2013 #3

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would be more concerned about workers comp and general liability insurance.

4. Mar 28, 2013 #4

drew2000

drew2000

drew2000

Local laws say it is illegal to work as an unlicensed contractor. However, I am confused because it might be ok since they are subbing to a prime that has a class A license.

Thanks for the comments about insurance!

Drew

5. Mar 29, 2013 #5

JoeD

JoeD

JoeD

Then I guess it is illegal if he is working as a sub contractor and not an employee for the general contractor.