Question about Solar Tubes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieC

Reaction score
I saw the recently updated thread about Solar Tubes and have a question. I tried Googling, didn't find an example. Would it be possible to wall-mount a diffuser for one of these things? I know it would be awfully bright, I'm thinking of a transom-type effect. Another idea would be to steal a couple inches from the closet behind it (closet above that too, with attic access) and do a "light from above" type niche.

Situation: We have a very dark and very small hallway on the lower level of our 4-level split. The ceiling is only 7' high (ductwork immediately over, most of the ceiling on that level is 7'10"), 3' wide and about 5' long. There is no light fixture and something there would go a long way toward ambiance.

I'm not sold on the idea, just one of my many ideas I thought would be cool. I think there is an electric light (never ever used) in the closet immediately behind the dark hallway, now that I think of it, perhaps I can re-purpose it to a wall-hugging or even better, wall-embedded sconce.

Hello JulieC:
I don't think the solar tube will make a 90* turn to make a wall mount. They are shown in their ads with 45* angles in them but I think that would be the maximum.
I vote for the moving the light to the dark hall. You might even consider a motion sensor on it so the hall will automatically light up when you walk in.
Glenn

Glenn, yeah, I think you're right. I've looked at a few light fixtures, but I need something really slim/sleek or that could be put between the wall studs. A recessed can light or two would be great, but there are those ducts immediately above. Most of the sconces I've seen stick out a few inches from the wall ... it is just too tight.

Hi JulieC:
You can recess almost any wall fixture into a metal box in the wall. You may have to get a sheet metal man to make the box to order, just give it a little space all around the fixture to expend the heat. Leave only the lens of the fixture sticking out in the hall so the light can be diffused around the space. A fixture with compact flourescent bulbs will give equal light for less watts, which means it will be considerably cooler.
Glenn

SolaTubes have a special piece of tube that holds a light bulb.

re-route the closet light wires and drop a wire for the switch. then when you turn on the light, it still comes from the diffuser...

Back