Question about toilet flange

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolyBatman

Reaction score
Hello, I have a rusted toilet flange that currently sits below the finished tile floor by about a 1/2". The pipe is 3", and the old flange is glued to the outside of the pipe. There is a tile floor and a lot of space. I have a few questions about replacing this flange.

I believe that using a flange that fits directly into the 3" might not be up to code as it becomes too restrictive. I'm thinking the ideal would be for me to try and chip away the old flange from the outside of the pipe, clean it up and install a new flange that slips on the outside of the 3" pipe. If I go this route, and raise the flange to the proper height. What can I use to allow the new flange to have something secure to fasten to the floor? Should I fill the void with thinset, wrap the pipe, let it set, install the new flange, and then screw in through the thinset into the plywood floor?

If the inside flange is acceptable so I don't have to remove the outside portion of the old flange, what would I use to create something secure for the flange to sit on? Since the finished floor has such a large hole I don't believe the flange will make contact with the tile floor. Same thing, fill with thinset and install the inside flange with a gasket? Here are a few pictures...

flange1.jpg

flange2.jpg

Really, no ideas? 45 views? I have to work on this tomorrow so I was looking for a bit of advice before I started tackling it. If you need any clarification or additional information just let me know!

I went looking, you might be able to just use a flange repair kit.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbbkU3Lu8U&ab_channel=DODGENEONRACINGLLC[/ame].

I went looking, you might be able to just use a flange repair kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbbkU3Lu8U&ab_channel=DODGENEONRACINGLLC.

That could definitely be possible, since it looks like PVC with a metal flange I guess I could take out whatever screws are there, grab that piece, screw it down, and use some of the larger seals that exist since it is about 1/4" to 1/2" below the finished floor. This would be nice since I wouldn't have to worry about raising the flange, or how to brace the flange.

to allow the new flange to have something secure to fasten to the floor?
My browser doesn't show videos anymore.

FWIW, there's no uplift force on the repair, just the need to keep things centered & leakproof, and there's probably no sideways force either.

So you have quite a bit of latitude unless your local code closes off your options.

Last edited:
Back