Question on height of foundation with sonotubes.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely believe in building codes. I am not an expert and I have limited construction experience especially in regards to framing. Which is why I am going to trust the expertise of people who have been doing this kind of work their whole life. However, I also believe that if someone wants to live in a shed with no windows then that is their business. I would never want to fine or imprison someone for being an idiot. People risk their lives on a daily basis and I just don't agree with code enforcement. The reason I follow code, and will most likely go above and beyond code is to ensure the safety of myself and anyone who accesses the structure. Not only that, but I would like to guarantee the structure is going to last for a long time. I will definitely update the thread as time goes by and get some sketches up so that my vision can be easily visualized. I don't think that the square footage of the deck is that big of a concern, or costly for that matter. Being able to utilize a large deck is more important to me than having additional living space. Also as someone pointed out being able to expand the post and piers to encompass the decking, while also extending the roof trusses to the outer most edge of the decking will allow me to close in the wrap around porch. The idea for me is being able to have a screened in wrap around porch. Which would be amazing. Having a smaller living area which would require less material and time to finish, while having a large deck area with a screen would make it all the more comfortable for relaxing. I was trying to work something out between a gable or shed roof, but being able to enclose in the entire porch I think is only going to be possible with a hip roof. Which unfortunately is more complicated, but I am thinking getting some help completing that portion of the project should be possible. So in regards to whether or not the wood will be treated, definitely! Plus since the roof will extend past the deck with a screen the porch should stay relatively dry. So hopefully this combination will provide resistance to rot.

Actually I've been thinking about it and drawing up a bunch of diagrams for the layout. I am starting to believe that a porch around the entire house would be excessive. Someone mentioned this and it got me thinking and after drawing it up I have to agree. I also really wanted to get away from the hip roof to make it easier to build. Which leads me to believe that restricting it to a front and back porch only, and a gable roof would be a much better option. So I am thinking of changing it up to 18'x24'(432 square feet)/gable roof with a 8' deep front and back porch. I think this will be a nice compromise and allow me to fit everything in I need and reduce the number of materials and complication of the roof design making it more manageable for myself.

I think, when you start drawing in rooms you will find just under 20 will work better, and you end up throwing less lumber on the fire when your done.

Back