Question on metal carport

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
Apologize in advance for the odd question, but I have a metal carport and wondering how much weight the ceiling can hold. Has anybody stored anything from the ceiling?

I have a Jeep Wrangler and would like to install a lift for the hard top, which would be stored elevated when off the Jeep. I have a Racor ceiling lift which I could mount directly to the ceiling or I could run new wooden supports and attach them to the legs if needed. Carport is roughly 16’ wide by 24’ (Don’t recall exactly) and is made by All Steel Carports. The camper is no longer stored there, so thinking of ideas. Thanks.

Attachments

• E72EA37E-1195-4C17-A31A-38895B662F4B.jpeg
    E72EA37E-1195-4C17-A31A-38895B662F4B.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 14
  • BAEEBC8C-3A7C-42BF-ADF1-960D4BE462C2.jpeg
    BAEEBC8C-3A7C-42BF-ADF1-960D4BE462C2.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 14
Yes, too many variables here for anyone to give a safe answer. You asked about the roof, but it is really the framing that's the key to this. Don't know where you live, but don't forget to consider snow-load etc. if that's a possibility.

The lift itself weighs 60lbs, and the Jeep hardtop weighs around 120lbs, so total weight supported would be 180lbs.

The lift itself weighs 60lbs, and the Jeep hardtop weighs around 120lbs, so total weight supported would be 180lbs.
Are you in snow country? I'd assume you aren't going topless when your structure has a snow-load on it. You probably need to reach out to the manufacturer for the load capabilities of the structure.

Southern Indiana, so not really snow country. And correct, in the winter the Jeep hardtop would be on the Jeep. Thanks.

Could you add a couple of post along side the original posts and run a small beam across them and tie it all together with the existing frame? You know sort of beef up the framework a bit. It's probably close so a little more framework would probably do it.

I had the chance to look closely at one of these carports the same brand only wider the other day. They are very well built and I don’t see any issue with hanging that amount of weight from the framework.

Be careful with drilling holes thru the tubes as that could cause a stress point.

I would fab some hooks or clamps that would fit around the structure rather than drilling and bolting to it.

Latest posts

Back