Quick connect hose fittings

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler S

Reaction score
Hello! I purchased a set of brass quick connect hose fittings for my garden hose. I was expecting them to have a built in check valve kinda like air hose fittings. But they did not. So I look further at similar products and it doesn't seem like they exist. Does anyone know of any?

I would really like a check valve, but I'm thinking I may end up going with an In line ball valve.

Confused as to what a check valve would do for you.
They are to allow the water or fluid to only pass in one direction.
That's why they created anti siphon hose spigots.

I think he doesn't want to shut off the water when changing what he is connecting.

All the ones I have seen and used have some kind of a manual ball valve.

I have never tried an air connector with water but don't see why it wouldn't work except when I pop my air fittings I get some leakage and it's no big deal with water that blast might not be fun.

OK .. perhaps that's it.
(We just fold the hose and squeeze )

OK .. perhaps that's it.
(We just fold the hose and squeeze )
LOL I learned that trick as a kid working on a golf course and I came home and my dad saw me doing it on one of his hoses and I got his size 12 where the sun don't shine. I can still here him explaining the hose is 50' long it won't kill me to walk 50' and turn it off.

That generation had certain ways you do things and made everything last as long as possible. :coffee:

Those Gorilla quick connectors have a lot of complaints that they leak or don't stay connected... and the other brands are troublesome plastic... A lot of 'Gorilla' products don't live up to the name... I put Gorilla brand chrome lug nuts on my truck, didn't even drive it, and 6 months later they were all rusty! From now on I use GM stainless steel clad lugnuts... not as shiny, but don't rust... just carefully use a 6 point socket squarely on them so you don't damage the S.S. cladding...
I'm going to try and find a way to attach a ball valve to end of hose so I can turn off water pressure there and then just screw what I want off and on the end via the usual threaded screw on garden hose fitting... the quick connects are aimed at people with arthritis who have trouble twisting tools on... but need to find one that works...

Hello! I purchased a set of brass quick connect hose fittings for my garden hose. I was expecting them to have a built in check valve kinda like air hose fittings. But they did not. So I look further at similar products and it doesn't seem like they exist. Does anyone know of any?
Having worked with air hoses I know what you mean. That would be neat but I have never seen it for water hoses. I used a quick disconnect with a ball valve on the hydrant at my dog kennel so I could turn off/on w/o pulling the hydrant handle while cleaning the kennel. Also handy for taking nozzle off/on and throttling flow when filling water bowl.

Back