Radon testing for a beam-on-pier ranch?!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
Note: this topic could have been in a subforum called something like "Environmental Concerns", or else "Evaluation, Checks, and Testing" but those don't exist!

The buyer on my current house wants to do a radon test. I don't mind, it's scheduled already, whatever. I'm just surprised, because basically none of my house, even the crawlspace, is below grade! Is this normal? Is the buyer wasting her money? I'm just curious.

Yeah, like I said I don't mind. I'm just surprised. Would radon levels in my crawlspace be any different from anywhere else near the ground?

I believe there's a layer of plastic, covered with gravel.

Blame it on the TV remodeling shows. Just about every show has to have a surprise. They were getting tired of finding asbestos and lead paint on every show so now they scare people about radon.

I think it is a combination of no one knowing what to look for when buying a home and they learn a lot of bad things are lurking off the media shows.

If your house has a well system apparently radon can get into the house, but otherwise, I think it's a slim chance. If it gives the potential buyer peace of mind it might be worth it though.

Well, they dropped the testing unit off today. They put it on the "lowest floor of living space" i.e. our only floor of living space. The lady who dropped it off didn't sound surprised or confused. Shrug.

I don't recall the specifics, but where you are makes a huge difference in whether or not radon might be a problem. Here in Sacramento valley with a couple miles of sediment under my feet it is never an issue. I house built above igneous rock might have a high potential. Local building dept. should be able to tell you if it is a concern in your area.

Back