Ramp for stairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
New house that I am buying has a few oddities that I am looking to resolve.

The bckyard that goes down to the lake only has stairs. Putting in any sort of other way down to bring a wheelbarrow down would be a challenge. The stairs are made from 15'' square patio stones. They do need to be redone. I am trying to figure out a way to get my wheelbarrow up and down the stairs when loaded. I was thinking of making a removable ramp that just sit on the stairs.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Length, width and duration of the project requiring the wheelbarrow, and as you age will the ramp require assistance.

Or something like these; hand crank scissor lift for sale

Last edited:
Well, there Georgia buggies and electric winches.

Or dump at height and move later.

For that much of a rise you'd probably need to do switch backs to make a ramp viable. Controlling a wheelbarrow on that steep of a drop or pushing it up would be a huge challenge. Bouncing a wheelbarrow down the steps would be hard, a different type of carrier might be easier to bounce down the steps. The rear supports on the wheelbarrow would drag as the wheels went down each step, or you'd need to raise the back end up high enough or the to clear it reducing the carrying capacity of the wheelbarrow.

For that much of a rise you'd probably need to do switch backs to make a ramp viable. Controlling a wheelbarrow on that steep of a drop or pushing it up would be a huge challenge. Bouncing a wheelbarrow down the steps would be hard, a different type of carrier might be easier to bounce down the steps. The rear supports on the wheelbarrow would drag as the wheels went down each step, or you'd need to raise the back end up high enough or the to clear it reducing the carrying capacity of the wheelbarrow.

I wouldn't be hauling as much as if I were on flat ground. TBH, it would be things like yard waste bags, tools, plants, and the odd bag of stuff.

For the downhill part just get an old waterbed mattress, fill with air, similar to what stunt people do.

You need to be quick though, because of the bounce.

Post's #2 & 4.

Or a really big trampoline

How about laying 2"x 6" boards in the middle of the steps, so the wheelbarrow can be pushed up the ramp, and the pusher can use the steps on the sides of the ramp. They can also be removed when the wheelbarrow isn't needed? You can secure the 2" x 6" boards end to end with a small, screw in plate.

How about laying 2"x 6" boards in the middle of the steps, so the wheelbarrow can be pushed up the ramp, and the pusher can use the steps on the sides of the ramp. They can also be removed when the wheelbarrow isn't needed? You can secure the 2" x 6" boards end to end with a small, screw in plate.

I was thinking of something like that.

Back