Real Stone Facade

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWBAH

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post :) I have large amount of concrete exposed around my garage and front steps. I'm thinking I'd like to do a stone facade but don't want it to look cheap. I'd like to maybe use real cut stone. Does anyone have any product they recommend?

Refining your location will result in localized information.

For the purpose of the building material suggestions, it would be 4 season northern U.S. climate. Down to zero in the Winter and 100 in the Summer.

So, you aren't looking for location specifics, just non specific general information, because, that's anyplace north of 40 degrees longitude.

So, you aren't looking for location specifics, just non specific general information, because, that's anyplace north of 40 degrees longitude.

Exactly. This is more a general question. I've seen a lot of fake stone facade and don't like seems it makes or the feel if you touch it. I like the look of stacked stone but that would get heavy and expensive to go up the 10 feet I need. I'm trying to find something that can adhere well to the concrete while not having issues with ice forming behind and pushing it off. I want the look and feel like real stone. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks.

That's fine, however, there are aesthetics to be considered in every area.

What may be standard in southern CA., may not be so in in Humbolt County or in the Cumberlin Gap, or Maine, or the Midwest, and there is also trades and their mechanical abilities to be considered.

A general answer is, well anything that you can get to stick to the surface.

I think, but I could be wrong that houses built to have stone face is much like brick, it is sitting on a ledge built into the foundation.
And captured stone and mortar would absorb water and needs a drain plane behind it so water can drain out.

I was more looking for an engineered product. I've see some facades that look really good and some that look really bad. I'd like to find something that looks like a wall, not sections of wall put together like wallpaper that doesn't match up at the seems.

012916a.jpg 20150918_084928_resized.jpg Are you referring to the stack stone similar to what is on my upright pillars and blocks in front, or are you referring to the flagstone similar to what is on my walkway?

I'm referring to what is on the pillar. The house has a lot of exposed foundation that I'd like to have covered. You can see better in this picture I think. The areas of concrete around the garage is what I'd like to cover up.

Thanks,
Ken

House-Evening-1024x568.jpg

The real rock is a simple DIY project, but runs about $7 a sq foot. Simulated concrete products will cost about $3 a foot, but I notice the fake stuff discolored after only a few years and bleaches out.

The real rock is a simple DIY project, but runs about $7 a sq foot. Simulated concrete products will cost about $3 a foot, but I notice the fake stuff discolored after only a few years and bleaches out.

I don't mind the cost of the real rock. Is there a specific product you've had luck with? If I had a brand name I could hopefully look up a local supplier. The stuff from the box stores isn't very good. I'd like to to last.

The manufactured stone is used around here all the time on and on high-end homes. It can be applied to a stucco base and doesn't need to be supported from below like a brick or real stone veneer.

When they do it here they put up a mesh and a some kind of scratch coat and a few days later they apply the stone.
Most of them use a chop saw and a diamond blade and not smart enough to add water, So they work in dust all day.

Back