Real Wood over Vinyl

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brubakes

Reaction score
One of the projects my wife and I want to start is wood floors in the kitchen, dining room, front all, and front 1/2 bath. Right now the dining room is carpet and the rest is all builders grade vinyl flooring.

Do I need to pull up the vinyl before setting the wood down? Can the vinyl act as a moisture barrier?

Hello, I think you can pull up the vinyl before setting the wood down.
Hope this will help you.
Thanks!!

I guess you know that it is not recommended to use wood or laminate in bathrooms. Moisture can ruin it. In fact most mills won't warranty it if used in bathrooms.

Are your floors wood or concrete slab?

I have done this many times. There are a few things you should know. Hardwood floors are 3/4" thick. Engineered floor varies in thickness. I have installed hardwood in a kitchen,dining room, living room and hall. We had to raise the base cabinets and countertop. You need to remove the vinyl and the 1/4" under it. You need to have all of the subfloor at the same level. We had to raise the base cabinets because the dishwasher would not fit under the counter top with the 3/4" floor. The 1/2 bath does not have a shower or tub. You should not have a problem with the warranty, check with the manufacture before buying anything. If you install 3/4" hardwood install rosin paper (red paper) to stop squeaks. Engineered floor needs a pad or roll of what ever the manufacture requires. In the bathroom, when you remove the hopper, use a new wax seal and the correct thickness for the floor you put in. If you are going with the engineered floor, I have finnished many a floor for people that just can't get it. The only thing hard with it is to lock it, it needs to be at about 45 degrees to the floor to get it to lock. Going around a wall, you need to drive the pieces under the wall. Don't forget to remove all the baseboard and cut the door jamb to fit. Good Luck. G

Back