Really Horrible Porch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debster

Reaction score
My porch is solid concrete. It's about 8" thick and 10' x 5'. Sinking, uneven, raised at one end due to frost and thaw and unstable base. I am considering getting rid. How much effort is involved in breaking it up ? I am thinking about renting a pneumatic drill, but have never used one before. Any information would be helpful. Thanks !

The easiest way to break it up would be to rent an electric jack hammer. Check at your local tool rental place.

Would I need a compressor ? How quickly could I get the job done (in terms of hours labour) ? How heavy is the jack hammer itself and does it require much effort to operate ? Never used one before, so apologies if these questions are silly. Thank you.

travel said ' ELECTRIC ',,, YOU mention'd a pneumatic DRILL which would need a compressor of, at least, 100cfm @ 100psi,,, but the hammer's the tool, NOT a drill,,, & actually a 185cfm's much more efficient using a 90# hammer,,, however, since most don't have the physical stature operate the 90#, consider using a 60#,,, you'll still need a truck to pull the compressor home from the rental yard unless they'll deliver & pick up,,, if you've never done this work, buy some gloves, boots, jeans, safety glass's, & ear plugs + some ben-gay for the next morning :D it is NOT necessary to invest in the armor-plat'd bra, however, as some might suggest :rolleyes:

travel's probably referring to the bosch ' brute ' which operated on std house current - 110v, 15a,,, just be sure your extension cord's heavy enough so you don't continually trip the breaker.

i know a few women who could do this work & not bat an eye but they possibly work part-time as bouncers in local nite clubs, too,,, most women cannot due to physical stature, predilection, & desire.

IF you're a guy, its 1/2 a day's work depending,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
Back