Reattaching old fencing around decking above garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaka

Reaction score
Hi Folks, So this is a multifaceted project... involving demo, roofing, and then decking. I've removed the fencing (sawzall straight down to cut through the nails attaching it) and deck boards of a deck (pryed up and discarded. I will remove the sleeper system to access the roof (it leaks) but try and retain the stringers and joists for reuse. After repair I was going to put the fencing back and new decking on. What is the best way to reattach the fencing sections to the 4x4s? brackets? What is the largest span that can go without a sleeper support with 2x6 joists?

many thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Attachments

• IMG_7938.JPG
    IMG_7938.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8342.JPG
    IMG_8342.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8343.JPG
    IMG_8343.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8344.JPG
    IMG_8344.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8345.JPG
    IMG_8345.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 7
I guess on second thought I could just screw slightly higher or lower than the previous attachment points. But was still curious if that was the best way.

and of course the span question... it seems that it is 1.5x the width.. so 6x1.5 would be 9'? is that the standard rule?

I would have guessed 8 ft, so your 9 would be close. I would want some kind of feet to put the sleeper on so it is not sitting in water.

Got it. I was going to ask the roofer for a slip sheet, but agree I'd like to keep the sleeper system out of the water. Do you have any good suggestions for how to do that?

Also, can I re-use the stringers? (or is that generally done?). Just wanted to decide before I chopped them up (or carefully removed)...

I would consider 6" squares of foam board between wood and roof. If the wood is still good I would keep it, You can grade it with an awl or ice pick anything really soft I would reject.

Back