Reclaimed Wood - Your Opinion Of Our Project Please!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilg0retr0ut

Reaction score
Hi everybody, we are currently in the middle of a basement renovation.

We had originally shown our contractor this picture ...

... as our idea for the floor.

We were told this is "reclaimed wood" and when it was originally installed it was full of holes and splinters. After voicing our initial displeasure, quite a bit of work has been done on it (wood filler, oiling, etc) and we're now in this state ...
... closer view (about 1 week since any stain/oil has been applied)...
... we are still enormously unhappy. Are we crazy? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is there an issue with splinters on bare feet? If so, a general sanding and sealing may be in order. Is this flooring glued down? How is the moisture down there?

Hi Havasu, the wood definitely seems to be a bit brittle and it does splinter. The flooring is nailed down. I don't think there's a moisture issue down there ... but this finish was applied over a week ago and is still sticky and wet in spots.
I don't know ... I've never walked into a house, a store, a restaurant or anything ... and seen a floor that looks like this.

Oh man that looks terrible. Looks like someone tore out old carpet after a mold infested flood. Give them jerks a bad review! All oil will come off and your socks will have black stains. This needs to be completely resanded id think.

First thing I would ask is did they show you a sample of the wood they were planning to use before the put it down? Did you see it as they we starting to put it down? If you didn't like it why didn't you say something before or at least while they were putting it down? When you use reclaimed wood you can get a great amount of variability. It looks pretty good to me, looks rough sawed, lots of knots and old nail holes, color variations, nice wide planks, etc. it looks like an old barn floor. However if it is more, ahhh, rustic, than you wanted you should have told them that in the beginning. I had a large dinning table custom built a couple years ago. I wanted new wood but my wife liked the reclaimed wood look based on pictures of other projects they did. I went along with that but I told the guy I didn't want it to bee too distressed. I didn't want a ton of nail holes, big nasty knots, chunks missing, etc.. He understood and selected lumber met our (my) criteria. It turned out great. As far as oil and stain applied that is a different issue as I see it. They may have screwed up a perfectly good floor trying to change the look to suit you.

BTW the first picture doesn't look like reclaimed wood, hard to tell though. I have a brand new hickory floor in out house that as some knots and flaws, that is the look of the product and was what we wanted. If you wanted just a little color variation and some light distressing you probably wanted new material, there are lots of choices that give that look. When you go with a reclaimed material and don't see the material up front you run the chance of it looking more rustic than you want, again stain and oil issues aside I tink it look pretty cool. I wouldn't want it in my living room but a basement rec room or man cave it would look pretty good. Its all in the eye of the beholder. I'm in the process of installing old barn siding I reclaimed in a new building I put up. It's rough, full of nail holes, faded colors, weathering, etc. but everyone that has seen it says it looks great. It's a popular look right now.

enormously unhappy. Doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. Take it out out and shoot for enormously happy but maybe be prepared for just happy. I'm with nealtw it looks like vinyl planks to me.

Last edited:
I've been in a few "rustic" themed restaurants with floors that looked like that...usually half-hidden under peanut shells. It's a great look, but you have to go all in for it: deer antlers, kerosene lamps, the whole nine yards.

I would give it a chance. I think current problems are due hasty rework. Wait for every thing to dry then re-sand/refinish as necessary. It may require a grain filling finish such as epoxy but the current finish may prove problematic. If you try a new finish test it in an out of the way place.

That looks like an old factory floor after an oil fire.

I would not want to set foot in a room like that.

Cut your losses, remove it, and start over with hickory, or vinyl plank.

PS it also looks ridiculous and horrible, I can’t believe anyone with half a brain would not have stopped installing after seeing the first few boards of that garbage, and the oily mush finish is comical.

We can't offer a valid opinion based upon photos of a wet finish. I still maintain that it's all in the finish. I can work wonders with a finish but ultimately it depends upon the owner's preference.

Back