Recommendations for bedroom door locks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek84

Reaction score
Hi Folks
I am thinking of having some bedroom door locks fitted. However, I am totally hopeless at DIY and want some simple to fit locks installed. I would be most grateful if you could give any recommendations.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Welcome.

These are available from any hrdw. vendor, in a number of configurations.

You apparently are in the UK.

In north America, bedroom doors typically do not have locking knob sets.
Just a door knob set with a latch.

Privacy is assumed by our custom, but not enforced by technology.

It sounds like you're looking for Privacy knobs (I know that "knobs" has a different meaning in the UK). If you are talking about door handles/knobs then there are many different styles to choose from. I'm assuming you want knobs that can be locked from the inside and opened with either a penny/screwdriver, or a long metal piece that you put into a hole. Now, if you mean doors with keyed locks, I think those are "security" locks.

Traditional round ones which are fine.
Then there are levers which are easy to open but they do sometimes snag pockets, clothing, bags, or items being carried.
There's also an oval shaped knob that is easier to turn than a round knob.

Schlage makes good door hardware & guarantees the finish so if it fades/chips/flakes off they will replace it. There's an oval one called Siena (sometimes spelled Sienna) but I'm not seeing it on amazon's UK pages.

The MiLocks TKK-02SN Tkk-Sn Digital Knob Lock, with its keyless design, is an intriguing lock for a bedroom. It's a far better fit for me because it uses a code to lock and unlock a door. I can't be bothered to remember where I put the bedroom door's keys, after all. Its glow-in-the-dark keyboard was another feature I liked. It will greatly simplify stepping to my door at night and locking or unlocking it. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to locate a thumb turn knob or keyhole in the dark house.

Back