Recommendations For Cordless Nail Gun

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jef1

Reaction score
Never owned a nail gun but figure it might be time to invest in one. I'm involved in some interior house reno which will involve hanging pre-hung doors, trim, baseboards and eventually small crown molding. So I'll need one that has a good compatibility w/a variety of size nails. Maybe 1"-2-1/2" I'm thinking. :confused:

After researching various types (not necessarily brands) of nail guns, I've decided that a cordless nail gun is definitely the way I want to go.

I know these guns are heavier, but that isn't a drawback for me. I also know they can run $$$. But after you add up all the necessities that go along w/a pneumatic/aircompressed gun, I think they're pretty comparable.

Even though there's little likelihood of my doing anything more 'serious' than the above-mentioned kind of work in the future, I still want the best or the most recommended by those in-the-know.

Also, which would be more appropriate for the work I'm doing: a framing or a finishing gun? Thanks again.
jef

Paslode baby! I love mine. I have the smaller one for finish nails that I use for trim work and has the battery/ gas cartridge. It is the bomb!!!

Thanks, launchpad. I'm Googling it right after I post this. But here's my novice-nail-gun questions #1 & #2 & #3:
- They come w/battery and gas cartridge? What's the advantage other than if the battery decides to die on you in the middle of a job, you've got the cartridge backup? Or did I just answer my own question? :eek:

- Any specific Paslode model or is there only ONE Paslode cordless?

- Suitable for framing and/or finish?

Last edited:
No the battery and cartridge work together. You press the tool into whatever you want to nail and a second later the cartridge expels enough gas to drive a piston into the nail head to the desired depth.

I've done all the baseboard and trim work on a three bedroom house without recharging. Cartride lasts a long time also.

Just read some quick reviews of it on amazon. For my purposes, it sounds like a good fit.
So, do I understand this correctly - the cartridge works in conjunction w/the battery. IOW, you need the cartridge, too? Only asking because my wife was concerned when I just told her what you wrote about the butane cartridge & possible 'sparking'. Shall we say...she worries that it could kick back a spark and (like Ralphie) put out an eye.:)

Just read some quick reviews of it on amazon. For my purposes, it sounds like a good fit.
So, do I understand this correctly - the cartridge works in conjunction w/the battery. IOW, you need the cartridge, too? Only asking because my wife was concerned when I just told her what you wrote about the butane cartridge & possible 'sparking'. Shall we say...she worries that it could kick back a spark and (like Ralphie) put out an eye.:)

Yep, you need the cartridge and the battery working together.

I've never had a "Spark" and I don't expect it to ever do that. As for the wife, you could tell her the truth that it is a very safe tool, or go gangsta with it and tell her "I'm a man, and men need dangerous tools to make this world go around. Now go make me a sandwich". Of course I'm on my third marriage, so mabye someone else should give out marital advice....:rolleyes:

... or go gangsta with it and tell her "I'm a man, and men need dangerous tools to make this world go around. Now go make me a sandwich".

You realize, of course, that if I even hinted at something like that I'd be spending less time using the nailer and more time doing this: :hide:

:D
Thanks. After only being at this site for a week or so, I've gotten so much help and found so much other info doing searches. Dis place is definitely dah bomb!:banana:

Ooops! Forgot one more question. Duh.

What's the model number on that Paslode? I'm seeing older numbers on some at HD and Lowes and even Amazon and newer ones on their site (which is gawd-awful slow btw). jef

Mine is a 16 gauge angled finish nailer. I think that is the only one in that series that they make.

I do recomend the angled nailers. It comes in real handy when doing corners and tight spots!

I don't own a Paslode. I have used them and they ARE very convenient.

The Paslode uses a fuel cell and a battery. The fuel cell gets replaced and the battery gets charged.

If you were to get one nailer fr the jobs you mention it would likely be a 16guage nailer. The 16g angled nailer is not a common configuration. More common a 16g nailer is straight, not angled.

My opinion is that you would use a 15g nailer for crown, doors, baseboards and trim. You would use an 18g nailer for trim (in addition to 15g) and for shoe moldings and other small things.

Here is a link to the Paslode 16g angled at our Amazon affiliate store.
Paslode Cordless 16-gauge Angled Finish Nailer no. 900600

The reason people go with air tools is the tools themselves are cheaper, less complex and you can use one air supply. I have one compressor and probably 10 air tools. If I bought each nailer I have as a paslode it would be significantly more expensive.

here is a show we did on compressors and nailers
Episode #5 – Compress It!

We also talk about about compressors and other air tools here
Episode #46 – Attic venting and compressors

Good luck with your decision and your projects.

Thanks again, launchpad and thanks handyguys for the video & links. Last night my wonderful, beautiful wife - who will never have to make me a sandwich again - :D surprised me with an early Christmas present of the Paslode 900600 16-guage angled nailer. Since she knew I'd been researching and had also knew the gun I'd decided upon, she went to HD and picked up one that just happened to be on sale and included an extra fuel cell to boot.

She either loves me very much or just wants me to get started on hanging those doors asap. ;)

I'd prefer to think she loves me very much. :)

I have used both types air and gas. The air is a lot faster cause you only have to change out nails. However I prefer the gas type cause it allows me to work later (noise ordinace with a compressor runnin) It also packs up faster. EXCELLENT CHOICE FOR INSIDE USE. The two i have used are PASLODE and HITACHI You can get a recon paslode for 225.00 or a recon hitachi for 188.00 both have warranties and come like they did new (case battery charger glasses) To me there isnt that much of a diffrence to warrant spending an extra 50.00 when i can use that money for fuel. (There is a place online Reconditioned Sales, Inc. where I buy most of my tools.) I didnt do a scientific comparison on the tools I borrowed a freinds paslode for a week then went online found the hitachi recon place bought that kind. For what its worth The paslode was dropped down a flight of steps and had zereo damage. the hitachi was dropped from 8' onto a cement floor and had coffe spilled onto it , still works fine so its mainly up to how much money you want to spend

Latest posts

Back