Recommendations on finding correct replacements for old wood siding?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old Victorian house, built in 1895 that I'm about to start removing old paint from in preparation to painting.

Some of the wood siding is damaged or rotted in the corners. It has a nice kind of scalloped edge on the bottom. The local big box stores don't carry anything like it.

I would like to find a place to buy replacements to have on hand before I start. I don't know what kind of wood it is, possibly cedar? And, of course, any comments on possible vendors that might carry similar wood are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

vince

Here is a couple of pictures of the siding, especially one of the areas that really needs work. It's not easy to see to profile of the edge due to the paint, but hopefully this will give you an idea.

THANKS!

vince

House Siding Needs Paint, etc.jpg

2-2-10 Pics 003.jpg

Last edited:
You will only find what you are looking for at a real lumber yard. They will have catalogs which supply there stock which you can match it to.
Going this route may cost more because they charge a minumum order size.
Otherwise, a local millwork shop could probably make it for the price you may pay to order the amount you need.

You can try the box stores, but I think you will be wasting everyones time.

That is usually called beaded siding or trim, just for victorian homes.

Unless you could luck out and find a house similar to yours being torn down(highly unlikely)I agree with inspectorD the catalog way will be more expensive than a local area millwork not to mention might be a bit quicker depending on the back log.Since your home was built in 1895 I would make sure to take precautions concerning the removal of the lead paint and follow EPA guidelines.Good luck with your project though.

Last edited:
Thanks for steering me to a real lumber yard and what it's called. I've been thinking that might be the way to go since the big box stores really don't have much of what I need. I'll need to find both the yard and the millwork shop and see what they cost.

There is an abandoned old house of similar age a few miles away, left to decay by the real estate company that bought the farm and can't sell the property. Sadly, the siding is different, but I did rescue some wood doors.

vince

Last edited:
Back