Refinishing Hardwood Floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie

Reaction score
Hi again. Need some advice. Home is 100 years old. Removed carpet. I rented a sander that has four discs on bottom. Once I started to sand, sander started to leave a build up of varnise or what ever. I had to use a razor to remove. Also, on bottom of sanding pads (using 40 grit) wax, varnise, or stain was gumming up on bottom.

HELP

Sometimes that gook is wax buildup, and old grime. Clean the floor with remover and try again ...with more pads.

I have used an old sneaker to clean the pads...just be careful.:D

Hello Marie:
The floor should stripped of any wax before you start; it melts with the friction and gums up the paper. No matter how long you sand the melted wax will keep it from sanding anything at all.
Glenn

Thanks. Any suggestions what to use, how to, and fastest? Every ones advice and suggestions are greatly appreciative.

Hi Marie:
You can get wax strippers at any big box store or even Wal-Mart. Use as directed but DO NOT mix any chemicals, especially amonia and bleach. It creates a deadly gas, almost impossible to escape from.
Glenn

I've been having the same problem with gummy buildup on the orbital pads. In my case, it seems to be grime that's built up over the decades - also the old paint gets hot and turns to sticky gum when I sand it. I've been using a combination of belt sander and orbital sander (36 grit) o cut through the old paint and the black grimy gummy substance to reveal the smooth boards underneath. It's taking time... but working. I sure have gone through a lot of belts and pads, though.

Hello Marie and Bobcat:
I want to go back to InspecorD's solution. All the old wax needs to be stripped off before begining. Wax will ball up, varnish usually will not. Wax stripper can be picked up at Wal-Mart and does a good job, just keep good ventilation.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back